My rolling road session yesterday!

Geo3

Hi guys i had my car custom remappeed by Horsham Developments yesterday and a rolling road session on surrey rolling road. I have gt3071r forged engine ect and car made 350bhp at 1.1 bar and around 300ft/lbs. Only then anything more boost wise my clutch slips!!! :cry: i put a new organic clutch in when i did my build a few years back and was told it would handle over 400ft/lbs of torque.

My questions is can anyone advise me on a decent clutch i can use that willl be man enough for nearly 500bhp that is not a paddle clutch?

red reading

no it's a twin plate setup, with the proper bearing for a nice light clutch pedal......................all the stuff i have is about £1800new!!

samgtr

Hi guys i had my car custom remappeed by Horsham Developments yesterday and a rolling road session on surrey rolling road. I have gt3071r forged engine ect and car made 350bhp at 1.1 bar and around 300ft/lbs. Only then anything more boost wise my clutch slips!!! :cry: i put a new organic clutch in when i did my build a few years back and was told it would handle over 400ft/lbs of torque.

My questions is can anyone advise me on a decent clutch i can use that willl be man enough for nearly 500bhp that is not a paddle clutch?
try adjusting your clutch from the pedal as i had the same problem then after adjustment it never slipped

Sam

Geo3

Helix but guy I bought it from I specifically said it needed to be man enough for over 400ft/lb but my luck it's not!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My guess is that it's the wrong cover plate; that's where the extra clamping force is.

skiddusmarkus

I've had both Helix covers and you can really tell the difference between then 2 as the HD on is much heavier to use and clamps better.Still fine for road use though,

Geo3

And what power is that rated to? Do youghys not suggests complete new clutch kit that we no will handle it? Rather than putting clutch cover on then finding outat a later stage that it's not man enough?

red reading

well i was running a helix H/D cover with paddle (and a organic plate on my other car) at 420bhp and 420lbft of torque, with out it slipping...............not a good idea to launch the car with them too often, but they are good for the money . you only need the cover and a uprated clutch fork as you have a friction plate, as said i have the clutch fly wheel combo f/s, and i could do a uprated fork if you want it.

Geo3

Don't no if the torque figure is big enough might be me but mapper said that there is easily 100bhp left to have so not sure on torque figure???

red reading

you wont get near that torque figure that was a very unusual engine and made the power with verry little boost, you'll get around 390lbft, choice is yours at the end of the day, you can get a os giken that will handle more than you can throw at it or a helix , the giken is lighter on the clutch pedal which is better in traffic.

RO_SUNNY

The giken is lighter on the pedal but also on the gearbox (if you catch what I am saying).

Danny's words: ''better change the clutches then the gearboxes''

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Danny's words: ''better change the clutches then the gearboxes''
I'd agree with that, but doesn't it imply that it's better to have the clutch slip a bit than to put all the power into the gearbox at once and break it?

I'm sure I read an article in Australia that was about tuning these cars (although it could have been the Pulsar SSS) that said exactly that; better to let the clutch slip and/or the tyres to lose grip than to shock the gearbox and have it break.

geoff pine

I'd agree with that, but doesn't it imply that it's better to have the clutch slip a bit than to put all the power into the gearbox at once and break it?

I'm sure I read an article in Australia that was about tuning these cars (although it could have been the Pulsar SSS) that said exactly that; better to let the clutch slip and/or the tyres to lose grip than to shock the gearbox and have it break.
Im sure i was taught that the clutch is the week point in any motor vehicle transmission system as its the cheapest to replace .