My turbos gone to turbo heaven!

Granite-GTiR

Hi all,

My turbos been screaming everytime it came on boost for the past few weeks now and it finally gave up ghost last night.
So i'm after a replacement and it would be great to get some input about what to go for and where to buy one.

The gt2871rs has been recommended by a mate of mine, but a few people have said to go for the gt3071.

Here the spec of my R at the moment:

Black 1994 (L reg)
73,000 miles
Mongoose exhaust
FMIC
HKS induction filter
Sard ECU upgrage
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi AVCR
Hi Spec 285mm front brakes
19 row oil cooler + oil filter relocation kit.
16" black league alloys
Eagle F1 tires all round
Cusco front strut brace
Whiteline rear strut brace
G-Force adjustable coilovers
Battery relocated to boot
Cobra clubman bucket seats + subframes.

Parts still to fit:

Fuel swirl tank + bosch pumps
forge actuater
water injection unit
Whiteline front antiroll bar
Whiteline adjustable rear antiroll bar
Full respay is on the cards too.

That cars running 1 bar at the moment. I want to get 350-400bhp out of the car but need to save some cash to do this and only have enough cash to buy a turbo and tubular manifold at the moment.

Personally i haven't got a clue which turbo to go for, so any advice would be great:thumbsup: . I have done many searches and i'm still none the wiser.

Cheers.

P

pulsarboby

just get a 3071r, best all round compromise.
i will shortly have a number given to me where these can be purchased in the uk for £780 delivered.
nowt to do with me though, i thought i would add, but a pal of mine will be sending me the link shortly, as hes just bought one!

creedy

all depends wot power u want form the car??

also you cant get a whiteline front ARB ;) only bush's

Granite-GTiR

I'm after 350-400bhp for now possibly more in the future. I'm planning to get bigger injectors, z32maf, tubular manifold and vems/emanage/power fc but only have the cash for the bigger turbo and manifold at the moment. What do you suggest?

Adam L

if you're after a manifold i'd suggest a T3 flanged one along with the turbo, a pair of cams might be an idea if you're thinking about that.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The Whiteline one is thinner than the standard one. Whiteline reconned the standard one was too thick and promoted understeer.

creedy

Fast Guy said:
The Whiteline one is thinner than the standard one. Whiteline reconned the standard one was too thick and promoted understeer.

oooww i see.... does it?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Whiteline reconned the standard one was too thick and promoted understeer.
So they took 1mm off it, painted it silver and charged people £90 :lol::lol::lol:

youngsyp

campbellju said:
So they took 1mm off it, painted it silver and charged people £90 :lol::lol::lol:
I think the Whiteline one is hollow too, as opposed to solid as the OE one is ?!

creedy

youngsyp said:
I think the Whiteline one is hollow too, as opposed to solid as the OE one is ?!
duno about that, a tube would surly bend and crack. Were as a bar will just bend and flex without any stress damage

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
youngsyp said:
this would at least have made sense but the one on Stu's car looked pretty solid. TBH I don't think any of the whiteline ARB's are hollow.

Here is an article by whiteline explaining why they don't make hollow bars:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Hollow%20vs%20Solid%20Swaybar.pdf

For me the reason is simpler than that, they want to produce something they can paint silver that fits in the confines of the original place that makes an improvement without upsetting the handling too much that they can sell to joe public. Switching to a hollow bar would make a huge difference in roll resistance without a proportionate change in size and a much bigger hollow bar would not fit in the confines of the original space.

This is a valid reason but on the R, IMO, Nissan got it right in the first place.

By their own calculations: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/010barup.pdf

Whiteline have increased the rear ARB stiffness by 123% then reduced the front by 15%. That kind of change could be made by putting their rear ARB on the stiffest setting instead of the middle one, buying a can of silver paint and painting your front Nissan ARB.

Most people will find they have too much understeer becasue their dampers or spring rates are too high at the front or their ride height is too low, not because their front ARB is 1mm too thick.

:soapbox: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This was just a general rant Paul rather than at you :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

gtirx2

creedy said:
duno about that, a tube would surly bend and crack. Were as a bar will just bend and flex without any stress damage
I know we are talking front but i have a 22mm hollow nismo rear anti roll bar on mine and its behine fine since i've had it.

youngsyp

campbellju said:
This was just a general rant Paul rather than at you :thumbsup:.
No worries Jim, I have no problem admitting that I was wrong ! :)

Plus as ever, your post was extremely informative so, rant away. ;)

On the subject though, I feel that with my new coilovers and alignment settings, an adjustable Whiteline rear ARB is now needed, to get the handling characteristics I want. Should have though of that really, before I gave the guy the specific settings for the alignment !

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread !

Kev@Apex

Granite-GTiR said:
The gt2871rs has been recommended by a mate of mine, but a few people have said to go for the gt3071.
Not sure about the Pulsar version of the SR20, but the 200sx version tends to promote boost creep on the 3071, also on the GT2871R if the 0.64 exhaust housing is fitted.

0.86 GT2871R is a good turbo on a SR, I run the 0.64 version on my CA18DET, 1.5 Bar, 390bhp. My mates runs the 0.86 on his 200SX SR @ 1.6 Bar, 390bhp
http://www.sxoc.com/site/rides/ride.php?Member_ID=1077