need advice

N

nellypayton

ive not long had my pulsar and it feels like it is bogging down after i have been running it for about 20 mins and feels like there is no power, the turbo spules up but just no go, can anyone help please? :roll:

N

nellypayton

im only running 0.6 bar with about 260bhp i was told by someone it was my intercooler but someone else said no way its a standard top mount they said it was heat saturation but it does it when its cold the other person said they are running over 300bhp on a standard top mount. I will have a look at the ECU thanks.;-)

N

nellypayton

i have done an ECU check today 25-2-08 evrything came back as normal im still in need of some more advice if anyone can help please i would be very greatful.

O

owens

they do suffer massive heat soak mate even on low boost especially when you have been driving at slow speeds for a while, have you got an aftermarket boost gauge fitted?? i fitted one on mine and found it was boosting to 10-12psi to start with and dropping to 6-7psi once it had got hot and mine is only standard. if this is the case it may be worth while looking into a FMIC or some sort of heat repellant on the top mount

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dropping a couple of psi my be the det sensor kicking in :- retarding the ignition and dropping boost by 2psi. If it is, it would suggest its detecting det:?

I did see a thread on an aussie forum where they cured the 20min thing by taking the ignition amp (I think) off and applying thermal paste under it or something to aid heat transfer.

N

nellypayton

owen: i do have an after market boost guage it says 0.6 but my standard says 0.8 i think its a cheapo one anyway,the boost dosent seem to drp thoghwhich is what i cant understand, ive had an offer for a seccond hand fmic from an evo not sure which one 500 quid fitted do you think its worth it? thanx for your advice.

N

nellypayton

john: clutch is fine mate it feels quite solid and bites right at the bottom cheers

N

nellypayton

fast guy: ill have a look at that sound like a good idea thats if its chesper than a fmic is it easy to do? thanx

Jonesy

You can pick up a fmic on ebay, for around £200 and fit it youself. But theres a lot of people still running with the top mount, without any problems.

N

nellypayton

yeah i was told about people running more than 300bhp with a standard top mount without any probs i just dont know what it could be its begining to miff me off, i just dont know what to do is it worth getting a fmic will it solve the problem, i dont want to go and blow money on something thats not worth doing, moto-if it aint broke dont fix it, thanx for your replies

N

nellypayton

very true mate very true so whats the best suggestion? fmic or should i try the wetter water stuff first?

gtir_pimp

you could try fitting a bleed valve,set it to 1bar using a good boost gauge and see what happens after 20mins. your standard gauge may be faulty. none of my standard gauges work! bleed valves are pretty cheap but dont get a shite one from ebay. look for a dawes device or similar. very easy to fit aswell!

N

nellypayton

im running it on tesco 99 octane super unleaded, but today 28-2-08 i have managed to get a fmic off a mechanic i know its off an evo 6 tommy makkenen, just wondering if any one is selling or has got the piping kit for the job?

CruiseGTi-R

I doubt very much its anything to do with your intercooler. People run 400bhp with the top original one.

I don't think a piping kit actually exists for an evo fmic for the gtir, so you'll need to put one together from pipes and rubber hoses/bends yourself.

And don't for christ sake just go and run 1bar on a bleed valve. If you have a problem you need to fix it first. You could fit a bleed valve and run 0.6bar, just to bypass the original solenoid to see if thats your problem.

Otherwise you need to go through the motions to find the problem. Compression test, look at your spark plug condition, make sure its fueling ok, make sure water temps are ok, boost leaks, detonation, clean your maf, check leads, watch the colour of exhaust smoke, check for oil in coolant, etc etc. Boring I know :)

Give it to a good garage if you can't find out.

Last edited:

geoff pine

owens said:
they do suffer massive heat soak mate even on low boost especially when you have been driving at slow speeds for a while, have you got an aftermarket boost gauge fitted?? i fitted one on mine and found it was boosting to 10-12psi to start with and dropping to 6-7psi once it had got hot and mine is only standard. if this is the case it may be worth while looking into a FMIC or some sort of heat repellant on the top mount
If your boost pressure is droping of once the car gets hot it could be a cracked wastegate housing ?it was with mine.