need help, early egnn14

Roadrunner

Hi all, I'm trying to find a bit more info on my gtir, been on here a couple of times about it, but still haven't found all the answers, it's a egnn14, in ivory white. I've read now that euro sunnys were only produced from 92, is this true? And if so that would mean all egnn chassis numbers start with 1..........

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
There are a few left circa 12-13 rhd uk original cars, and a few Lhd uk original registered cars.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
If it is egnn it won't have a RA or RB designation as that is Japanese markets, European cars came without air on and the like anyway as you had to spec options. So technically they are all RB. Does yours have a short ratio gearbox? As it could be a homoglation car.

Roadrunner

Ah very good, so all egnn cars have model code rrfn. Don't know much re gearbox as of yet, it has been off the road for over 10years now. I have looked underneath, and the rear diff looks different, larger fins etc. Is it odd for it to be egnn so early, or is there other euro cars before 92?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Date of production and date when sold are two differant things, so I wouldn't think to much into that side of it, will do some more investigation work over Christmas as said it could be a homolagation car.

Roadrunner

I've a feeling your right, its bare bones standard, standard sunny seats, no air, no electrics etc. Rear wiper and alloys are only extras. On the probuction side, on the Nissan fast system, it was produced in October 1990, which makes it a first gen car. but I've read that all egnn cars where second gen, ie. No ivory white. Do you know if this is true? And also it has such a low chassis number, are there many that low in egnn form?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
There is nothing to say it was not as you say, it may be that general public release of the gtir in Europe was not ment to happen till 1992, that does not mean rally teams and the like will not be able to get cars earlier....there is also the possibility of the car being converted from Lhd to rhd?

Roadrunner

I completely agree it looks like that may be the case,I know the car wasn't converted to rhd is original in that respect it's just odd that I can't find any solid info on it as it goes against all the information I can find on the internet,the first owner on the car was a fairly successful rally driver in Ireland so it is possible that it is a homologation car and was never supposed to be on the road

Roadrunner

Yeah doc, easier said then done, it was eamonn bolands are, a fairy well know driver here, I've left messages with his offices, but no Aval. His brother had a Nissan dealership at the time, and putting 2 and 2 together I'd say that's where it was ordered from and also how it was ordered so early. Because back then there would have been very little talk about gtirs or very little know alsalshe may have ordered it with a view to rallying it, at thé time hé was in a cossie. But it was used as a rekkie car for a couple of yyears by him then reg'd for the road in 1993, so it a 93 reg. It's had a hard life, it had a bang on the drivers quarter, not bad, but not repaired to a great standard. It went through a few hands and then it's last owner left it stand for over 10 years outside. So it needs a full restoration, it only has 45k miles, and complete Nissan service history, it had engine work under warranty and also gearbox work under warranty in its first year. Nissan Ireland only remember 1 sunny being imported, it was black and was 92 reg, used as dealer demo, and ended up in UK. My gtir is remembered in the 2 dealers it was brought too and both say it was unreg'd while in. Does anyone know what the egnn chassis number start at, like is my car the 26th car built?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Will be able to tell you more when I speak to a man at nissan and have a look at a few other things....but it may well be a pre production car.

Roadrunner

Thanks for your help doc, any info will be great. Of the 500 homalagated cars in the first year, do we know how many where sent to nme, how many were group a cars etc, and are the nme cars all egnn cars or different altogether.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Nme are egnn as that was homolagation rules for European rally cars at the time, they were all left hand drive...but no one can be sure Whitch registration was actually which car as teams just swapped the plates from shell to shell, group n was a bit more predictable but the championship cars were all Lhd , I have a very early egnn chassis which was a 1990 car as well just need to look at the plate and paperwork to be sure on it as well.