Need Some Advice Please

Matty B

Hi, i've recently bought my first GTI-R and love it. Just put a k+n, dump valve and s/s exhaust on it so it sounds sweet, apart from the engine which sounds like a 15 year old fiesta. Been told that GTI-R's are known to need the valve clearence's doing (shimming). Im pretty sure it is that as it sort of ticking right at the top of the engine, just under the rocker cover. Does anyone know the best place to take it and what its gonna sting me. I live in March which is in Cambridgeshire. PLEASE HELP. Thanks. Matty B.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Matty B said:
Hi, i've recently bought my first GTI-R and love it. Just put a k+n, dump valve and s/s exhaust on it so it sounds sweet, apart from the engine which sounds like a 15 year old fiesta. Been told that GTI-R's are known to need the valve clearence's doing (shimming). Im pretty sure it is that as it sort of ticking right at the top of the engine, just under the rocker cover. Does anyone know the best place to take it and what its gonna sting me. I live in March which is in Cambridgeshire. PLEASE HELP. Thanks. Matty B.
1st,change your oil for 10/50 or 10/60.See the FAQ for newbies for recommended grades/makes.May seem daft but a lot of people put too thin an oil in their car and it rattles badly.

If that doesn't work i'm afraid it is quite labour intensive to do the shims if the garage has them at all.

O

Odin

I agree with Bruce try changing the oil first, And also check its not the injectors that you can hear, Another couple of points are that the pulsar has a noisy cam chain as standard rather than a belt like a lot of other cars, And solid lifters that are normally noisier than hydrologic (sp) ones .

Rob

Matty B

Thanks. I'll try an oil change and let you know how i get on. One other thing, it seems to tick when hot. Its fine when cold. Any idea why. Maybe because the oil is thinner when hot.

Matty B

yea, got a mongoose on it, straight from the turbo. proper loud!!!!! I just hate having a noisy engine though. Also the car is running 0.9 bar boost, is this standard or do you reckon its been tweaked. Its got a standard turbo on it.

P

pulsarboby

0.7 is standard so its been upped slightly.

tappets are better to be a bit noisy than quiet and overshimmed, as this will burn your valves out in no time.
theywont do any harm at all!