Need some GTiR help

G

GTiRbob

Hi all, i dont own a gtir yet.... anyways i am going to view this car very soon...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/735445.htm

saturday actually, with the intent of purchasing it.

The abs has been disconnected, there maybe a problem with the sensor as the brakes have been changed or something else.

the car has passed the mot in this condition, however i know the abs light is an mot fail.

If i removed the abs system would this then make the car a pass? surely you cant fail on something you havent got.

if its that simple, any advice on doing this?

also i plan to use this car as a daily drive. Will the car cope with a 4-5 mile journey each way. i know the oil temp wont get hot enough for any sort of enthusiastic driving,and the fuel consumption wont be like my current 1.2 car!

another question i have is inusurance. the car is currently insured with flux, all modifications declared. which is great! as it saved me spending 2 hours listing them down the phone. i got a quote of £2596 fully comp, unlimited mileage. i am 23, i have nearly 4 years no claims but as a named driver.
would you pay this sort of money for the insurance? owing a less powerfull car is not an option as im fed up of not being enthusiastic about cars.

the other car im considering is a e36 m3.

as much advice as anyone would like to give is gratefully appreciated. i have posted a similar thread on another gtir forum.

thanks in advance

rob

R

riske

Hey mate. I went from a 1.4 to this and it aint that bad if you stay off the turbo. My car is the same set up, dastek etc.Except i run 0.8 bar weekdays and put it up to 1bar on weekends for more fun. I drive mine everyday 4-5 miles to work and back and everything is cool. I just feel as though i'm adding miles to a beautiful car that doesnt need it but she is running sweet everyday with warm up and cool down. I think you will love the speed but like i said the petrol isnt actually that bad unless you have it out, then your talking £20 in 20 mins...

Insurance; i pay £2039 with flux with one years no claims and im 21.8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate if you get rid of the ABS you'll be ok, but make sure the light (bulbs) not lit as thats a def fail.

BUT HOW HAS IT PASSED THE MOT IF THIS HAS NOT ALREADY BEEN DISCONNECTED/REMOVED AND THE BULBS STILL THERE? DODDGY MOT MAYBE?

I had this on my 2nd R which had Hi Spec 4Pots that I bought for it and had to get rid of the ABS and the bulb :)

For the short journeys you say I dont feel the GTI-R is the right car - it wont get to warm fully for a run and by the time you do the oil will just be getting round the system to be stopped again, cars like this are better for long journeys or good runs not small to and from the shops, work journeys where they are not getting to their normal running temp etc. Some will disagree with this but I having owned many cars know that this can also start to cause wear and tear on parts that will in time cost a lot to repair.

Insurance unknown now as I had mine when I was 19 and then again at 21 and I paid at (19 in 1999) £800 odd fully comp and then at (21 in 2001) it was £564 fully comp for a 400bhp fully declared GTI-R fully comp.

I have no idea what it'd be now as I am 28 with 7+yrs Protected NCB in a B listed area which is second lowest for crime rate etc :)

They are good cars but IMO stupid to run, was more on repair, fuel and servicing that all my other cars which inc the following:

R33 GTR V-Spec Skyline
EVO6 GSR
2 x GT4's (1 x ST185 and 1 x ST205)
Honda JDM Integra DC2 (Best of the lot by far Pound for Pound and most reliable

And a whole lot more.

The only thing I would say is why the hell would you want to pay £2596 to insure a car for a year thats only worth that or not much more if more at all mate?

I got a quote on my dads Aston Martin DB9 for a laugh and its are you ready for it

£1300 FUlly comp and a DB7 was £789 fully comp now, so why pay that much when you can get a car much better IMO and much more fun and reliable like a DC2 Integra Type R that will not only be better, more rleiable and fun than a pulsar but also cheaper to run, insure and own and is a better all round car that on track would spank a Pulsar (and I kwo as I have owned all of the cars I am talknig about and been on many tracks in all of them), the DC2 is by far one of the best and most enjoyable handling cars ever made and is well un-explainable (test drive one and see what you think) but in all honesty why pay the cost of a car on insurance?

I foy want any more advice, info or help I have set up many websites dedicated to various cars I have owned with pros and cons for owning each and can provide links later when home if you want them.

Anyway hope you make a good and the orrect decision and basically mate buy what you want but dont buy it for the wrong reasons (remember the financial market and cars are going down in value daily and I am watching the NSX and DC5 scene as I was gonig to buy an NSX 5 months ago and they are reasonably static however the Integra DC5's have come down dramatically so if you buy it dont expect to get anywhere near 4K for it as I know 1st hand I can get a Pulsar from Japan imported for £800 and on the road for under £1700 now :-( Shame as they are good cars but not worth anything now days.

Last edited:
R

riske

How the **** are you getting prices like that!! I have tried everywhere! What company? Cos @ 19 £800 fully comp is unheard of. Tell me and i will give you a bill if you get my insurance cheaper!

riske said:
How the **** are you getting prices like that!! I have tried everywhere! What company? Cos @ 19 £800 fully comp is unheard of. Tell me and i will give you a bill if you get my insurance cheaper!
Did you read the post fully?
It States in 1999. Here are a few of my recent quotes via go compare.com

Quote Date - 30 Oct 2008 12:01
Vehicle - ASTON MARTIN DB7 VANTAGE 5935cc
Cover Type - Comprehensive
Drivers - Proposer only
NCB - 7 years
Best Price - £756.88
Company - Performance Direct

2nd best
Admiral was - £782.75 on the DB7

EVEN DONE ON ON A PULSAR FOR YOU :)

Quote Date - 30 Oct 2008 12:06
Vehicle - NISSAN PULSAR (SUNNY) GTI-R 1998cc
Cover Type - Comprehensive
Drivers - Proposer only
NCB - 7 years
Best Price - Performance Direct
Company - £489.00

I am a major member on itr-dc2.com forum and my insurance last year fully comp on a JDM imported DC2 Integra Type R was £468 with kwik Fit

One thing I would add is DONT use companies like Adrian Flux, their cack IMO

Just so you know a few more details on these quotes

28 yrs old
Driving high performance cars since 17
7+yrs NCB Protected
Post code is Kings Hill, Nr West Malling, Kent (2nd Lowest crime rate poss (use this to check if you need to know your area's code and status in the list)

http://www.geocities.com/mpgcalc/postcodeRISK.html

Car's are for Personal use only as I work in Kings Hill and walk to work
3 Points (dropped off this year but need to declare for 2 more years still)
No Crashes
1 Child
Home Owner who is a Business Risk Analyst.

But Saying "19 £800 fully comp is unheard of" is a load of bull **** as there are many personal factors that make insurance the way it is, I was 21 on an R33 GTR 1996/7 p Reg in Silver and my insurance in 2001 on a 5yr old V-spec skyline was £1800 Fully comp.

However when I passed my test at 17 I had a MK1 XR2 for first car and then after 6 months bouth my first S1 RS Turbo.

Last edited:
R

riske

Ok i live down the road in hildenborough so its a B still. Got 3 points like you. Been driving for 3 years and 1 years no claims. no crashes, no claims since i started driving. On my R it's £2g's! Im not being rude to you just shocked at the prices! I like those integra's got a pic at all?? Arn't they expensive to get hold of tho?? Would like one..may swap for my R if you know anyone? :)

G

GTiRbob

well iv just been getting quotes for a bmw m3 4 door and coupe version, and an integra type r!

flux come back with £3000 + for all three cars, said it would be a similar price to the pulsar if the cars were modified.....makes no sense? cheaper if the car has modifications?

i can get insured on an integra for £1k... trouble is finding one in my budget. these cars are the top end of my budget.

i will try performance direct now for the pulsar and see. if i can get the quote below £2k ill consider it even more... even though that is still a lot of money.

i was paying £2200 fully comp on a 1.3 8v swift when i was 18, the car cost £1000......

everyones circumstances are different regarding insurance. i may seem crazy considering something so high, but im going to have to take the leap at some point.

iv got a few weeks yet before i am financially in the position to buy anything. im awaiting the money to enter my bank.

i am keen on the integra's, think they are very good motors, and heard nothing but good about them.

the more i think about the insurance prices, the less im keen on this car. once iv seen it properly, been it, im sure ill be like a child in a sweetie shop!

i imagine the owner has contacts in the mot world, as the abs bulb i still there. is that the only give away that the car has abs??

GTiRbob said:
well iv just been getting quotes for a bmw m3 4 door and coupe version, and an integra type r!

flux come back with £3000 + for all three cars, said it would be a similar price to the pulsar if the cars were modified.....makes no sense? cheaper if the car has modifications?

i can get insured on an integra for £1k... trouble is finding one in my budget. these cars are the top end of my budget.

i will try performance direct now for the pulsar and see. if i can get the quote below £2k ill consider it even more... even though that is still a lot of money.

i was paying £2200 fully comp on a 1.3 8v swift when i was 18, the car cost £1000......

everyones circumstances are different regarding insurance. i may seem crazy considering something so high, but im going to have to take the leap at some point.

iv got a few weeks yet before i am financially in the position to buy anything. im awaiting the money to enter my bank.

i am keen on the integra's, think they are very good motors, and heard nothing but good about them.

the more i think about the insurance prices, the less im keen on this car. once iv seen it properly, been it, im sure ill be like a child in a sweetie shop!

i imagine the owner has contacts in the mot world, as the abs bulb i still there. is that the only give away that the car has abs??
Mate if you want any advice or leads to a good DC2 INtegra Type R let me know as I know loads for sale and am in touch with many owners who both import and sell as personal and business sold cars.

They are IMO amazing cars and worth every penny. They are coming down in price so dependant on what you want depends on the cost, you can even consider/buy the SIR-G Import DC2 which is a 1.8 still and a great car.

PM me if you want any more info etc if you want

BUT bearing in mind your post reg that pulsar these are what I would say in your budget without knowing what it really is:

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48125

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51236

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50344

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49935

Dont let the mileage on a DC2 put you off either - UKDM's with higher mileage will be fine as long as maintained fully and I can help advise on one to buy if needed.

Carl

Although very basic at the moment here is a link to my ITR site (may help with any info/questions you may have)
http://www.carls.itr-dc2.20m.com

I will be uploading lots of pics over the next few evenings to the pictures page as not gotten around to finishing this page yet.

Last edited:
R

riske

Bit more expensive than the pulsars but i do like them. Anyone got a supercharged or turbo one??

riske said:
Bit more expensive than the pulsars but i do like them. Anyone got a supercharged or turbo one??
They are more expensive as better cars and worth more due to history, heritage and their reputation and demand mate :)

There are loads but to make a decent one running safe reasonable and decent boost its about £8K to build not inc the cars price etc. :-(

But that defeats the object of the car, if you want turbo IMO you dont buy the DC2 you buy, Skyline, EVO etc as thats the turbo'd on par performance car - if you want the same kind of handling and performance but a N/A engine buy DC2 or even the EK9 or FD2 Civic Type R :)

LOU ROB

I think this car belongs to steve (nisr227) off the gtirmodifiers.

The car will have been looked after if it is his.

G

GTiRbob

indeed it is, i know steve's brother well, and have met steve a few times!

SunOnGTiR

GTiRbob said:
can anyone warrant £2.5 k for insurance though???
Seems a bit expensive:? Did you say as a named driver?? So who's the main??
Well,maybe you should think about it thoroughly.There's a few younger owners on here that pay IIRC £1500-£2000 for their insurance.
I can't warrant it,BUT take Steve's R for a thorough test-drive(if he lets you) and then think about it further.
When I was 19 a few years back,I paid £1300 tpf&t for a mk2 Golf GTi..........
those were the days:twisted: ;-) built like a brick siht house:thumbsup: took my abuse very well:lol: :lol: :lol:

G

GTiRbob

i paid £2200 for my first ever car fully comp. nope im a named driver now, so got 4 years of claim free driving but it means squat!

steve will gladly let me take the car for a spin, i just said ill be a passenger.

we shall see, im not into wasting time, so if im not going to buy it i wont view it.

SunOnGTiR

I was wondering......why did you buy fully-comp. for the £1000 swift gti:doh: surely tpf&t would have been enough:?

G

GTiRbob

that swift wasnt a gti, the gti's are 1.3 16v.

it was a 5 door swift which i ended up spending a stupid amount of money on.

i was young and naive and my parents thought it was a good thing to do.

SunOnGTiR

Oh,I see:shock:
Well,you're older and more wise now:roll:
Thinking about it,you have around £6k to buy a car and insurance???
Lots and lots of choice for you:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If you really want a R,ring around for more quotes about the insurance.
Have you tried A-Plan??? Also,try the company Carl said above.
I'm sure you'll be able to buy insurance for under £1500:?
Good luck!