New boy looking for advice...............

A

Anonymous

I've just purchased a completely standard car but now I want to fit a few mods, the only problem is that I am on quite a tight budget.

Do you think the following mods would be suitable for running 1.2 bar?

ND Boost Upgrade Kit
Mongoose exhaust
Induction kit
Uprated fuel pump

What sort of BHP figures could I expect with the above mods?

Thanks in advance

Scotty :D

J

jasegould

new boy lookin for advice..............
Dont piss off Vpulsar :lol:

Add to your list a clutch as the standard one can just about handle standard power, youll fcuk it within weeks, if not days at 1.2 bar.
A fuel controller and front mount IMO would be a good idea and a separtae boost gauge...if youre on a budget maybe better stickinh to 1 bar but im sure 1.2 has been run on standard FMIC and ECU ok
and at 1.2 bar your prob looking 300-310 bhp.......i think :? :?:

mattygti-r

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

u dont wana run 1.2 bar :roll: :roll:

for one,

1) you dont have fueling on your list
2) no uprated clutch
3) whats in the "boost upgrade?" u mean bleedvalve? i woudlnt run 1.2 on one. u need a controller
4) uve no stronger internals for that boost
5) you may want a better boost guage to read 1.2 (not that you should run that boost on what uve said is standard) cos the orginal is crap

my advice would be...get

mongoose (or any uprated exhuast thou these are best)
fuel pump walbro
uprated clutch
induction kit
boost guage
boost controller
uprate the breaks as well,

run 1bar

have you, oil changed the car? yet? uprated the breaks/pads/discs etc,

O

Odin

Jasegould said:
Dont piss off Vpulsar :lol:
Me :oops: :shock: .

Hello mate dont ltake any notice or him he's a tw@t :roll: :wink: .

I'd say stick with 1 bar for now as the standard ECU can fuel that ok,
and you should be looking at about 280 bhp and as the other's have said
you will need a new clutch at 1 bar or over :cry: :wink: .

rob ( i'm really a very nice man you know ) :wink:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys!!

The ND Boost Upgrade kit comprises of an uprated actuator, colder plugs, C clip, silicone hose & adjustable turnbuckle. This method is much more reliable and precise than the bleed valve, it will hold boost more effectively and hit the same peak setting time and time again. Our kit allows the boost to be set between 0.8 and 1.2Bar. The fitting of this part is more involved than both of the other options and setting up must be done carefully.

How much could I expect to pay for a fuel controller or would a adjustable remote FPR do the job?

Scotty

A

Anonymous

The ND Boost Upgrade kit

I think that the The ND Boost Upgrade kit costs approx £126 from Norris Designs.

By the way what is a FMIC?

Scotty :D

LeeSmith

Welcome mate

FMIC means Front Mount Intercooler
TMIC means Top Mount Intercooler (or interwarmer as some people call it!)

Davey

Matty's pretty much spot on really :wink:
i'd forget the ND option if i were you m8,and if your on a budget, defo dont run more than 1 bar.
For this, all you need is a boost controller(profec b's are the cheapest option), possibly some colder plugs and a fuel pump(might not need this though).
Get an exhaust and filter as well, and you're sorted
An aftermarket gauge is very important, to keep an eye on things, and its probabaly a good idea to get the fuelling and timing checked on a rolling road,powerstation are ideal for that.
If your lucky,and dont drive the car too hard, the clutch might last for a while, i wouldnt bother replacing it till it wears out :wink:
For a fuel controller, most people seem to like apexi safc's, as the cheapest option, but again, needs setting up, and an fpr is a waste of time for most people(although some people do say you have to run one if you fit an aftermarket pump :? )
I'd be wary of tuners pakages that say you can run X amount of boost, as this just means that you CAN run that much boost, but doesnt always give you all the other bits that you need(clutch, fuelling etc)

Davey

is that 126 quid all in, and fitted, cos that prob aint too bad then, any one know about this kit, er, and whats a c clip and adjustable turnbuckle? :? :oops:

andygtir

By the way what is a FMIC?
front mounted intercooler :D

id stick to 1 bar on standard fueling, especially if you're on a tight budget- if anything goes pop then your kinda stuck :?

the only thing ive heard about bleed valve type things is that they cant compensate for varying ambient temperatures, so you set it on a hot day for 1 bar and then when the temperatures drop it may be running 1.1bar for instance. - either buy a good boost gauge or save up and get:

boost controller : apexi avcr

fueling : apexi safcII + walbro pump

exhaust- most go mongoose :roll: but any free flowing turbo back system minus the cat is good.

induction kit- apexi, or i run the big k&n that forge supply.

possibly a new dump valve, im not sure what pressure the standard one can cope with.

the standard top mount will be ok, you could front mount it, but if on a tight budget, id spend it on a good re-map and see what the tuner can safely get from the car.

the standard clutch may last, it may not, but only replace it whan it starts to slip- just run it into the ground.

but if you want my opinion, if youve just bought the car get used to it before modding it.

give it a good service- engine, gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oils, oil and fuel filters, leads dizzy cap, rotor arm, new plugs, flush radiator, new brake and clutch fluids, flush out the intercooler with petrol or carb cleaner.

if you are on a tight budget id spend the money on looking after the car and making sure its at 100%. if you let them deteriorate they will cost an absolute fortune to put right. :cry:

kyepan

dad says the c clip is a circlip.. and the turn buckle is an adjustable knob.. what ever that does..

and we forgot to mention brakes.. too. :oops: which in standard form are terrible. they should be your first upgrade.

andygtir

just to add, always run it on optimax, warm it up properly - 80c or above before gunning it, and cool it down for a couple of minutes after a rag- or just drive off boost for a couple of miles.

good luck 8)

GINGA

The Nd boost kit will require the turbo removing to fit the actuator and if you can't do that yourself it will be pretty exspensive to do :shock: you'll be far better off with something like a Greddy profec B11 boost controller for around £200 or even better Have a chat with Mike(ex gtir) about his boost upgrade mod :wink:
The standard plugs are normally ok for 1 bar and slightly above boost pressures :wink:
Upgraded fuelpump is a good idea though if your on a tight budget you could make the standard pump better by giving it a direct feed from the battery powered by a relay this gives more voltage to the pump (upto 2 volts :shock: ) and gives you extra fuel flow from the pump, this is also a good idea in general :wink:
Mongoose with decat is a decent mod and brings good gains aswell 8) aslong as you can put up with the noise :wink:
Induction kit will also give gains but mostly in the noise department lol
The it all depends on your clutch really a standard clutch in good conditon will hold 1 bar+ no probs but if its worn a fair bit it will slip so budget for a new clutch and fitting at around £550 from Mike or Olly :wink: again