new discs standard calipers

G

GTIRnick

Hi dudes,

I have just bought my 2nd R sold the first one 3 years ago!! and missed it ever since.

I am firstly going to concentrate on getting the brakes sorted as I bought it cheap with attention needed to brakes, the pads were shot on the insides looks like they may of been greenstuff pads and the discs look ok but i'd rather change them, can anyone tell me what my options are for bigger front discs but retaining the standard calipers? and what would be the best pads for occasional fast road use.
I have tried a search but everything is about the 4 pots upgrade!! I just want to improve the brakes over standard as for the first few months im just taking it easy and running the R as normal as poss. at a later date I will invest in the big muttha brakes!!

might be a stupid question but if the pads are shot would the abs light come on?

thanks in advance

nick

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think Hispec do kits based on the standard calipers.
I'm running Mintex M1144s and they seem ok (albeit abit squealy at the moment)

D

danmo

I wouldn't bother with that do it once do it right i'd say, look at the 310mm wilwood 4 pot conversion gorup buy (or pairing thing).
Suppose it depends how much money u have, this will cost £611.36 and includes the 2 piece discs (310mm), 4 pot wilwood calipers, mounting brackets, fast road pads (that are also good for track aswell) a,d braided hoses.
Might be cheaper if can get enough people inetersted.

G

GTIRnick

thanks for the info :)

think I might just put standard discs on and decent pads in for now.

and upgrade to the 4 pots in a few months.

sorted the abs light, for some reason the 20 amp fuse had been removed!! :?

replaced with a new fuse and the light has now gone out :)

now my dilema is which standard discs to choose and which pads to put in?

any suggestions?

D

danmo

I have some 3G 10 groove discs with mintex 1144 pads, works alot better than standard, but being honest still no where near good enough - hope that helps.

G

GTIRnick

sounds ok for now mate :)
where did you buy from and can you remember how much?