New Engine - No electrical power

warringtonjack

Right, after completing my first ever engine swap (about time I got my hands dirty :lol: ), everything is connected back up (so i thought) but I'm getting no electrical power to the dash. :noidea:

I'm getting good power from the boot to the bay, and a good earth in the bay as well. I'm guessing I've missed something when connecting everything back up. Is there a plug somewhere that numpties like me might miss that would obviously cause these symptoms? Battery was out of the car during the engine change so wouldnt have thought I'd blown a fuse. :noidea:

Any help appreciated. :thumbsup:

Let the slating commence! :wave: :fu:

ashills

u checked all the plugs in the front right hand side of engine bay maybe one of them not pushed home properly

antgtir

I would still check for fuse blows. Its something at least you can tick off the list.

I would perhaps look around all connections and make sure they are actually connected and not just sat in place without connecting if you know what i mean.

Unfortunately its one of those check and double check jobs :(

Ant.

antgtir

warringtonjack said:
Damn, I knew that would be the case! :lol:
I know lol i hate doing things twice :lol: :doh:

Out of interest are you getting power through to the engine ? It may even just be the speedo, or am i clutching at straws for you:?

Ant.

warringtonjack

antgtir said:
I know lol i hate doing things twice :lol: :doh:

Out of interest are you getting power through to the engine ? It may even just be the speedo, or am i clutching at straws for you:?

Ant.
Clutching at straws afraid matey. :( i'm not getting anything to the dash at all. No lights, no fuel pump priming, absolutely nothing. There's a plug missing somewhere i think. But i wouldnt have thought one plug would cause a total power cut! :? I'll have another scan and see what i can find. :)

P

pulsarboby

i reckon youve forgot to connect the battery cable to the batt (the fused one) with red plug, could be tucked out the way.

lol just noticed my new stigmansell avatar:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

warringtonjack

Well, just checked everything over again, and whilst there was one plug that was loose, it didnt make any difference. What is there inline between the battery and the dash? Surely the line goes from the positive battery clamp, to the ecu (?), and then on to the dash. Via a fuse on the way?

Bob, I take it you mean the main positive battery clamp?? Nice avatar by the way! :lol:

P

pulsarboby

yep it should have a red plug on it which is fused and with 2 white wires coming out of it (check the fuse in that plug!

warringtonjack

Sorted. One of the connectors on the pos cable wouldnt sit properly cos it was corroded and battered shapeless. One decent application of electrical tape, and power has been achieved. Just need to stop it running like a bag of spanners now! :roll: :roll:

I'm assuming the timing has been played with! Well, thats my first port of call anyway.

Cheers all. :thumbsup: