New member having problems.

R

RedGTI-R

Hi guys,

I am having a couple of problems with my GTI-R. Firstly, it sounds like the lifters are very noisey, well at least a couple of them any way. Do you think they need re-shimming? If so how difficult is it and is there a guide anywhere?

Secondly, and what concerns me the most, i seem to be losing a lot of oil out of the breather hose on the right hand side of the engine by the distributor. The one that breathes back into the inlet tract. I have checked compresiion and they are all spot on, and the engine has really good oil pressure at all times. I thought maybe the breather return from the canister on the front of the engine might be blocked, but9short of taking it off) it seems clear enough.

Can anyone help? Many thanks for your time.

Dan

P

pulsarboby

possibly may require shimming or they may be badly worn!(rockers and cam lobes)
you really need to get rocker cover off and check them, as well as cams!
shimming is a right fiddly job to do (ive not shimmed a gtir) but have done quite a few others, and its a real pain! depends on if your good at maths and your patience level!

with the oil problem it sounds as though you may have a blocked breather somewhere, you need to check all of them and make sure there clear whilst your rocker cover is off!

youngsyp

Just to be sure, you do know that the GTiR lifters are generally noisier than most cars ? This being because they are of the solid variety and not the usual hydraulic type ! Also, the GTiR has a timing chain as opposed to a timing belt which, is also fairly noisy !
The injectors on the GTiR are also recognised to tick quite loudly so, you may not have anything to worry about ?!
Give the car a service with good oil (Silkolene Pro S 10w/50 from the oilman) and an OE filter and see if that helps at all !
I always thought mine was fairly loud when I first got it, compared to my previous GT Four but, it's not got any louder in the 4 years (45k miles) that I've had the car. And changing from Mobil 1 to the Silkolene oil did quieten things down noticably !

As for the oil problem, the OE breather system on the GTiR is notoriously poor and your best bet is to rip it all out and replace it with a catch tank system, like the Cusco or Greddy kit. This will not only be more effecient and not coat the inlet track with oil but, it'll also not dilute your fuel mixture any more ! If you do decide to do this, you'll need to clean out your intercooler and inlet pipng with petrol, to remove all the old oil mist/deposits.

I'd go with the advise from Pulsarboby to begin with, then maybe clean the OE system out with petrol as a stop gap and see how you get on !

Last edited: