New turbo

I

ignorantshed

hi have just bought a sweet black r it is almost totally standard and has done bout 70,000 miles, the turbo is still original, how much longer could i expect it to last?

and when it does go what upgraded turbo would everyone recomend on replacing it with? are they straight replacements(easy to fit)?

am potentially lookin for 320bhp, is currently 251bhp, anyone recomend the best way to get there?

also is it worth going with a hks digital boost controller?

rossdj1983

first off matey, id never trust the milage, chances are yours is an import so somone could of quite easily dropped1 or 2 miles of it.

houghy_1

I wouldnt worry about your turbo too much,mines done 103,000 miles/km's and its in good order.
Like everything on any car it all depends how previous owners treated/abused them.

As for a new turbo,id wait till yours expires then get Ian at Hiteq to do you a stage 2
(standard turbo housing but with the internals to his specification) for £550,they handle 350bhp and fit it all yourself to save some money.

For 320bhp id say the rough path would be...

Walbro fuel pump(£75),
Denso IK24 spark plugs(£40),
either an electronic boost controller(£150-£400) or a dawes device(£40) depending on your budget.
Boost will probably be about 1.2 to 1.3 bar.

Any electronic boost controller will do the trick as long as they are set up properly!!!;-)
Which one is down to your own personal tastes on looks,functions,usability etc

Theres probably bits ive missed or that someone else has different opinions.

Hope that helps,

Matt

kenan

South West Regional Rep
houghy_1 said:
I wouldnt worry about your turbo too much,mines done 103,000 miles/km's and its in good order.
Like everything on any car it all depends how previous owners treated/abused them.

As for a new turbo,id wait till yours expires then get Ian at Hiteq to do you a stage 2
(standard turbo housing but with the internals to his specification) for £550,they handle 350bhp and fit it all yourself to save some money.

For 320bhp id say the rough path would be...

Walbro fuel pump(£75),
Denso IK24 spark plugs(£40),
either an electronic boost controller(£150-£400) or a dawes device(£40) depending on your budget.
Boost will probably be about 1.2 to 1.3 bar.

Any electronic boost controller will do the trick as long as they are set up properly!!!;-)
Which one is down to your own personal tastes on looks,functions,usability etc

Theres probably bits ive missed or that someone else has different opinions.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Would you need a replacement op piggy back ECU ??

houghy_1

kenan said:
Would you need a replacement op piggy back ECU ??
Suppose if your gonna start running big boost then yeah to make sure.
Oh yeah and a SARD Type RJ adjustable fuel pressure regulator wouldnt go a miss either incase the oe fpr is getting a bit tired
Id probably go for something like a Greddy Emanage Blue,about £200 i think??
Not sure if its a piggy back,not really looked into it all yet so dont wanna look a c0ck if im wrong:p

Like i said im probably gonna stand corrected but just my opinion;-)

Matt

Last edited:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I haven't got a clue whats needed for the Rs yet, hence all the questions :) On my car you need an ECU almost as soon as you touch anything else.