Nissan Dampers

youngsyp

Chaps,

It's coming to a time when I need to replace the 2 front dampers on my R. They are standard fit items so, I was going to go for the same to replace them. I looked at the Koni option but, personally think it's a bodge job. Coilovers are out as, the car is only used on the road and so, I don't think the cost is justified.
What I wanted to ask was, are there any other Nissan models that share the same shape dampers (front and rear) as the Pulsar ?
Obviously the Sentra does but, I guess I'm specifically referring to the 200 SX models as, they have a much larger choice, when it comes to uprated dampers ! Or, does anybody know a source for Kyb or similar dampers for the GTiR ?

Cheers

Paul

Mr GTiR

There's nothing wrong with Koni or Blistein.

You'll be lucky to find another Nissan damper to fit the Pulsar.

youngsyp

Mr GTiR said:
There's nothing wrong with Koni or Blistein.

You'll be lucky to find another Nissan damper to fit the Pulsar.
Do you know of any suppliers of the Koni and/or Bilstein dampers for the GTiR ? They seem to be a bit thin on the ground !

Mr GTiR

Not off the top of my head but i have seen cars with Koni dampers and i've heard of GtiR with Bilistein.

I'll have a look round for you.

youngsyp

Mr GTiR said:
Not off the top of my head but i have seen cars with Koni dampers and i've heard of GtiR with Bilistein.

I'll have a look round for you.
Cheers bud. Bilstein is a new one to me so, I'll have a look for them too !

youngsyp

the chief said:
i think Bilstein only make springs, why dont you buy some second hand dampers?
Because they could be as knackered as mine ! From the outside, mine look fine, there's no leaks or anything. The N/S/F just knocks away to itself !
I can't see the point in buying things like that second hand, unless I know they've done next to no mileage.

I have to admit, I couldn't find any Bilstein dampers anywhere for the R. I had a look for Kyb (Kayaba) too, and they only parts for the GTi, not the GTiR. Looks like I could be stuck with Nissan originals and their prices !

OZ-Racing

As there are no leaks, are you sure that they're knackered and it's not other suspension components knocking?

youngsyp

OZ-'R'acing said:
As there are no leaks, are you sure that they're knackered and it's not other suspension components knocking?
Yep, positive. They're the only part of the suspension I haven't changed, to cure the knocking/rattling and the knocking/rattling is still there.
Apparently, it's a common problem when using lowering springs on OE dampers. The wear rate is accelerated !