Nissan Valve-Timing Control System

S

Stoned

How comes our SR20DET doesnt have this then. I was under the the impression the R version was the best one out.

Anyhow a guy with a 200SX explained the system to me like this.

Yep, its called NVCS (Nissan Valve-Timing Control System). Its just cam phasing unlike Hondas vtec system. Also NVCS is set to increase low and midrage torque where as Hondas are set to higher range. If you unplug the solenoid (left hand side of the head), it should feel alot more flatter below about 5250 rpm thats if the GTiR has it.

edit: Just seen the GTiR has standard pulleys.
Is this a good system and does it have any real benefit?
Curious as i've not heard of it before.

Nigell_d6

hi,

The 200 has it but in real terms I dont see any overall benefit over the Pulsar, just a different system, in fact I prefer the Pulsars system to the 200's as far as management.

Regards

Nigel

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was it developed after the Gtir ceased production? Don't forget alot of these systems are relatively new.

MarkTurbo

I'm sure ive read something somewhere about guys in the states using a sr20ve engine (variable valve timing) and turbocharging it 8)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Nissan have the VE series engine, which has VVL which works almost exactly the same a V-tec.
In Japan the Almera is called a Pulsar VZ-R they came with THREE engines.

1. SR16VE - 173hp @ 7800rpm / 119lb torque @ 7200rpm
2. SR16VE N1 - 197hp @ 7800rpm / 134lb torque @ 7600rpm
3. SR20VE - 187hp @ 7000rpm / 145lb torque @ 6000rpm

There all N/A and create alot of power but rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:

gtir bean

wonder why they never made a decent car with the 197hp engine?thats about 35hp more than the civics and 25 more than the mirage cyborgs.i bet it sounds mental going full chatt too.

D

DOT2DOT

Variable valve timing and the Vtec system are two completely different things, dont confuse them.