no back box on a pulsar?

A

Anonymous

was talking to a guy with a pulsar gti-r and he was running a custom system but it dint actually have a backbox it just had the system then a tailpipe on the end,is back pressure not an issue?is anyone else running this kind of system?

LeeSmith

a turbo charged car does not need back pressure like a NA car does. a lot of people use the mongoose system which has no back box. basically the less restrictive the exhaust (i.e no bends or restrictive box like a cat or back box), the better the engine can get rid of the waste gas.

that's my view anyway.....i'm sure sum 1 will come with a technical answer for you in a minute!!

Mr GTiR

the Mongoose 2 1/2" exhaust system does not have a back box :D

No back box is needed on a turbo charge motor :twisted:

A

Anonymous

cool,im a welder/fabricator by trade so a new tail pipe minus the box may have to be made :D

ashills

some factory turbos will break down on the oil seals if all the boxes are removed
stuff like the cossies on standard turbos
if u go straight through on teh exhaust it will smoke on idle and can when driving also
most decent hybrids have a good doublestack/uprated oil seal to coup with low back pressure though

G

GTiRich

Yeah I had a custom system built too without a back box. It's just got a couple of sections of 5" pipe to keep the noise down and the neigbours happy :lol:

Stevo

i have no back box either, custom made 2 34" pipe copied from a mongoose system. proper loud i tell thee :cry:

A

Anonymous

is that a `i dont like the loudness lol`? the system i have is a custom full stainless with a small backbox with a 4` tailpipe does sound nice but just want it louder!!

Websnowbo

Careful though......i had a Trust system on one a mine a few years back and i thought feck it i'l remove the back box.

Was sooo fcukin loud....if a system isnt designed to have no back box i.e the Mongoose it will be mega loud as it is probably straight through without the box.

andygtir

i thought the mongoose had a small silencer where the cat was?????

mine is totally unsilenced, litterally a piece of pipe front to back and its fecking LOUD!!! can be heard well over a mile away just cruising. the pops and bangs that you get from the mongoose are now explosions and ground shaking thuds :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

made much better power throughout the rev range once fitted, especially top end. picks up much better.

Stevo

mongoose have the option on removing the middle box were the cat would go. so like urs its a striaght through :p

andygtir

ah! so i guess your neighbours no longer talk to you now! i used to think i live in a friendly area... :lol: :twisted:

A

Anonymous

999...... which service do you require...police please :evil: ....... hi there what seems to b the problem?..... well theres a car outside with a loud exhaut...rite..... quick lads drop the murder case lets go slap some wrists :lol: :lol: fook me av people nothing else better to do!!

Stevo

LOL
tell me about it mate, sometimes they even wait in my road for me :roll: , once im on my porivate land i lock my 6ft gates and ignore them haha

A

Anonymous

lol i stopped the coach building for 5 mins today and done me zaust it already had a stainless system de catted,so chopped the back box welded on a straight pipe then added a 4` pipe for the tailpipe handy bein a welder as it wd o probably cost me loads, looks and sounds spot on :lol: :lol: :lol: well chuffed :lol:

c20ona

i thought about doing this little conversion as well but just need to know one thing, will the removal of the rear box cause any changes in the fueling ? (richer/leaner).I maybe asking a dumb question here but wanted to check before i go all gung-ho.

cheers

kendo

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
c20ona said:
will the removal of the rear box cause any changes in the fueling ? (richer/leaner).
cheers

kendo
Well, I put the mongoose on and it has no back box and a year on my engine hasn't blown.
In theory it should affect fuelling, but it can obviously cope well enough to compensate for it.