Nose down, a55 up, that's the way we like to..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
setup the gtir ride heights :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Been playing with a few things on the suspension recently and between killing off the tyres with too much toe and sliding around on various corners I've started learning a few things.

For the record, I took of the whiteline bolts at the rear as they kept losing camber and where a pain to setup accuratley. I decided I would setup my rear camber through ride height alone. I realise this will upset the purists but I've got a road/occasional (extremely on recent performance) track car so whatever works.

1. Lowering the car as much as it would go was okay in the dry but it wouldn't bite into corners in the wet at all leading from understeer to snap oversteer. Also in the dry on tighter 2nd gear corners it had a similar problem on turn in.

2. Raised it all up and it handled far better but with the tein topmounts I was stuggling to get any negative camber on the back and the front was at best 0 with the tein set to maximum.

3. My plan was to drop the back more than the front to give the front more roll so more grip and better maintain its geometry. I also wanted to closely monitor ride height so the left and right sides are always balanced.
Try checking your oen and you'll see that ther are over a 1cm difference even when static on the average car.

I plonked 80kg of sand, sink and cement into the passenger seat to represent me (Bring on the puns, I can take it :wink: )

4. This plan might have worked but the back was then -ve camber whilst the front was more +ve.

5. I then was lowering the front and raising the back until I could get some -ve camber front and back with a balanced ride height after each setup. After much playing, measuring and lowering, I ended up with the front prctically on the bottom with just over a deg of -ve camber and the back with less. The car ended up with a 315mm gap from wheel centre to body on the front and a 330mm gap at the rear. I wasn't convinced about the ass up nose down stance at this point but thought I'd leave it as at least the camber was closer now.

6. I didn't setup up the camber again as my toe was so far out the left wheel was now turning a corner and I thought the suspension probably needs a good running in so the next job was fix the toe and go for a test drive.

7. Whilst trying to ignore the effect of the toe, the thing I noticed was how darty the front end was going into corners... in the wet! Bearing in mind my tyres were slicks and the other day it wouldn't bite this was a revelation. Also I was running neutral toe so would have expected it to be less darty than the -ve toe previously. Awful understeer was still on the cars as was no braking but overall if felt more balanced through the corner.

8. On further investigation I've found the nose down a55 up is what Nissan had originally designed for our car. they specify 365mm front and 375mm rear. Whiteline fixed springs are 325mm front and 335 rear. It was good to see other people agreed.

These are not my final settings and the ride heights might go up a little front and back if poss to give the suspension geometry a bit more freedom to move. I'm getting my new tyres back tomorrow so then I'll start some more fine tuning but holiday's and work are getting in the way so don't hold your breath for the next installment
Jim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What set up is best for launching at the strip? soft front/ hard rear? hard all round, soft all round etc etc.....
I've been wheelspinning this year from the launch with the same power as last year. I've gone from standard suspension to Teins and to lower profile tyres, so something is upsetting things :? (still don't have a problem on the road tho)

PS Depends who's a55 it is :p

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
What set up is best for launching at the strip? soft front/ hard rear? hard all round, soft all round etc etc.....
It depends where you're losing your grip (Front or back) but normally the nose down attitude is optimum for a Fwd and 4wd car to get the front tyres to bite.

Thinking out loud...

You normally soften the side you want to gain more grip.

If you're car was stiff all round then the back might not get enough force pushing through its tyres and they would slip but the front would not lift as much. Likewise if they were soft all round, the front would lift more and ultimately the back might get overloaded.

My starting point would be to limit the suspension movement by going stiffer all round, I'd get my nose down and keep cambers closers to zero front and back. On launch the weight will shift to the back and the car should ideally dstribute its weight/force 25% at each corner at this instant.

With your tein's I'd try to control/improve pitch through the rear dampers as this is where the car is moving the most. Soften it to improve rear grip and stiffen to improve front.

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Reading your post again. Your old soft suspension and your higher (softer) profile tyres would have allowed the rear to gain more grip for launch. I'd definately consider raising your back end to give it more leverage when it rolls, lower your tyre pressures and trying going full soft at the back too.

Again play with your rear damper to control the rate of roll, shift of weight at launch.

Dooie Pop Pop

so does this mean that my 50x15 tyres and standard shocks actually gives me an fair of grip for launching then?
can i also ask if or how the antidive kit effects launching too?

cheers, Stu

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
so does this mean that my 50x15 tyres and standard shocks actually gives me an fair of grip for launching then?
can i also ask if or how the antidive kit effects launching too?

cheers, Stu
I don't launch the R in a drag style so I'm at the limit of my experience here but Fast-Guy's experience says so.

The anti dive kit....

It changes the angle of the lower arm from the horizontal to give it anti dive and 1 degree of castor increase. I can't really comment though as I bought one too to try and increase the releativley low amount of castor as standard.

Confusion comes as its sometimes called anti-lift.... but this is a similar mod to the rear suspension

Unfortunately castor only works when you turn your wheel and the anti dive will only help when you hit the brakes. You don't need me to tell you how useful it will be for drag racing :wink:

Jim

Dooie Pop Pop

morning! thought id dig this up as its relevant.

iv fitted some gabs and whiteline springs to the car and the im a bit worried about the ride hights. nose down, a55 up aint the word for it:lol: im really worried iv fitted them the wrong way round but after a lot of searching it seems that iv fitted them correctly with the taller springs to the front and nose down, a55 up is the way to be:?

trouble is from the wheel centres to arch i have app 360mm rear and 300mm for fronts which with my 15inch wheels is a really bloody pain for speed bumps:doh: the front end of the car feels kinda light and darty i know iv got to get it all aligned properly but it does feel odd lol. i check the pn with demon tweeks when i bought them and they checked out at the correct springs but the R looks like a funny car atm:lol:

the front shocks have a little screwdriver operated dial on top that goes from 1-4. assuming its for dampener control which way round is it? 1= hard or 1=soft?

O

Odin

Dooie Pop Pop said:
the front shocks have a little screwdriver operated dial on top that goes from 1-4. assuming its for dampener control which way round is it? 1= hard or 1=soft?

Well you defo have the struts the right way round if the screw driver adjuster is on the front, Turn them anti clock wise all the way for full soft, Then you can click them up one click at a time to make it harder, Just play around with it until you find something you like, I always had them on full soft for road use, And full hard for track days.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
This is an old post of mine :shock: Show's how much I've learnt since then :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop said:
trouble is from the wheel centres to arch i have app 360mm rear and 300mm for fronts
I can't rememebr what the standard springs look like as I thought you couldn't put them on incorrectly but it could be you've got some stiff springs on the back and some soft springs on the front..... meaning the springs are on the wrong struts.

It could be a funny with your top mounts if you changed them too.

It could be the wrong parts (manufacturer/packer/distributor mistake).

The handling characterisitics you describe could be caused by the ride heights alone irrespective of your spring rates. If your spring rates are also the wrong way round then it would have a tendency to oversteer under most conditions.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Please post a pic of your drag car and give us all a laugh for a Monday morning ;-) :lol: :lol:

youngsyp

That must look very odd ! :lol:
Even with a 15mm higher ride at the back of mine, compared to the front ride height, the wheel arch gap is noticably bigger !

I bet yours looks like a cheese wedge !! :lol:

antgtir

On the coilovers the lower setting i.e. 1 for the dampers is the stiffest with 6 being the softest. I find that for track at the mo setting 2 is optimum, allowing the car to roll slightly helping stability funily enough lol through corners.

Maybe for normal road driving setting 3 or 4 would be better as the bumps can be quite harsh.

Ant.

Dooie Pop Pop

campbellju said:
Please post a pic of your drag car and give us all a laugh for a Monday morning ;-) :lol: :lol:
ladies and gentlemen i give you.....my funny caR:doh:

funny thing is iv already fitted the springs the other way around as the shorter springs were actually slightly thicker which logically ( hahahaa:( ) suggested they go to the front, result? the rear sat lower than the front:doh: after a lengthy search i found it repeatably mentioned that the taller springs go to the front and this is how its ended up.

the gabs came off an R which as far as i can remember sat fine:? its just the springs that are different:? :? super helpful demon tweeks wont even bother looking till iv got the serial numbers of the springs:( iv spoke to a guy at whiteline who confirmed that the car would sit slightly higher at the back but not the 60mm iv measured......

i just knew i should have just bought some teins:der: :x :roll:

Last edited:
O

Odin

That looks bl00dy stupid :shock: :doh: .

You should fit some cusco top mount on the front that would bring it back up to the right hight I'm sure ;-) .

Rob

Dooie Pop Pop

read the edit above Rob the taller springs are fitted to the front......... "remembers back to your top mounts":lol:

does the front look ok? it feels better than it did with the other springs on the front. would dropping the rear down raise the front the 15mm its missing??

campbellju said:
I can't rememebr what the standard springs look like as I thought you couldn't put them on incorrectly but it could be you've got some stiff springs on the back and some soft springs on the front..... meaning the springs are on the wrong struts
the gabs have kyb stamped on them, are you saying i shouldn' t be using lowering springs with them:?:?:? with the springs the other way around the car sits lower at the rear and the front looks higher than it should for a lowered car if that makes sense

cheers, stu

id like to nominate myself for the 'mong of the year' award:first:

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
THanks for the photo, it made my day :)

I did some calcs in my head on the drive home from work and given the standard measurements are 365 and 375. Given whiteline drop it about 40mm and they will use a rate similar to Nismo of 4kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm rear. If you had a 3kg spting on the front and 4 kg on the rear. You'd roughly get a 70mm drop front and a 20 mm drop rear.... ringing any bells?

Could you have put the front springs on the rear struts? The strut lengths are different IIRC which might account for the difference you see when you swap the struts. Failing that it can only be the wrong spring rate length/rate.

To check your spring rate, you should find the front really soft and the back quite taut if they're wrong. If they're right then more or less they will feel the same.

Dooie Pop Pop

campbellju said:
THanks for the photo, it made my day :)

I did some calcs in my head on the drive home from work and given the standard measurements are 365 and 375. Given whiteline drop it about 40mm and they will use a rate similar to Nismo of 4kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm rear. If you had a 3kg spting on the front and 4 kg on the rear. You'd roughly get a 70mm drop front and a 20 mm drop rear.... ringing any bells?

Could you have put the front springs on the rear struts? The strut lengths are different IIRC which might account for the difference you see when you swap the struts. Failing that it can only be the wrong spring rate length/rate.

To check your spring rate, you should find the front really soft and the back quite taut if they're wrong. If they're right then more or less they will feel the same.
:D:D:D:D

Dooie Pop Pop said:
funny thing is iv already fitted the springs the other way around as the shorter springs were actually slightly thicker which logically ( hahahaa:( ) suggested they go to the front, result? the rear sat lower than the front:doh: after a lengthy search i found it repeatably mentioned that the taller springs go to the front and this is how its ended up.
i HAVE tried them (the springs) the other way around!;-) and the rear ended up lower than the front:der: :? standard front shocks are back on again it was damn scary driving it like that, it felt like i was slipping out of my seat:shock: :lol: im beginning to think that the (true) rear springs are incorrect and im hoping they are stamped as the poxy lable has worn off:evil:

stumo said:
I'm not going to mention :roll: ..........MASTER CYLINDER:doh:

thats why i said mong of the year as opposed to week/month. iv done myself proud (like a kipper) lately:humble: :humble: :humble: :humble: :humble: :humble::humble: :humble: :humble:

:roll:

cheers, stu

Last edited: