Not as sucessful as i thought!

ki_saj_ng

hey all,

passed the MOT and got it TAXED on monday :D

BUT, the speedo is still not working!

where is the speedo plug? is it the one on top of the transfer box and connects to the loom off the starter? green and red wires?

if it is this then when removing engine i ripped the plug apart and then repaired it but thinking i may have got the wires crossed causing it not to work.

if not this then where is it as i cant live without it!

thanks

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
ki_saj_ng said:
hey all,

passed the MOT and got it TAXED on monday :D

BUT, the speedo is still not working!

where is the speedo plug? is it the one on top of the transfer box and connects to the loom off the starter? green and red wires?

if it is this then when removing engine i ripped the plug apart and then repaired it but thinking i may have got the wires crossed causing it not to work.

if not this then where is it as i cant live without it!

thanks

How did you pass an MOT with a broken speedo...??? :?

paz

I don't think the speedo has to work to pass an MOT, but it does have to work to drive on the road :? Isn't it one of those daft differences between required results for an MOT and a road legal car?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Paz

6Miester

They don't check the speedo on an M.O.T.
Can't be legal to not have it working though-since your racking on the miles without the odometer working either.

Nad

Thought it was on the side of the gearbox. Reminds me of one more thing I need to replace, killed 2 of mine already and apparenly they are not cheap and a bitch to get out!

Nad

ki_saj_ng

yea it doesnt need to work for the MOT cos they dont actually drive the car do they but it does need to work otherwise u dont knbow what speed u are doing.

so wheres the plug? the one on top of the gearbox? is there any fuse for the speedo?

whats the one that i repaired then?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
As fasr as I know it is a legal requirement to have a wroking speedo on the road, but it isn't a requirement for the mot. Go figure :?

MarkTurbo

The speed sensor is in the transferbox below the starter motor, you should be able to get to the connector but its a bit fiddly :wink:

ki_saj_ng

mark turbo - thats the one, its fucking impossible getting my hands there, tried from the end of the wheel but no way, its running top mount at the mo so its hidden behind the bracket.

whats the best way to get to it then?

MarkTurbo

You can see the connector for it in this pic :wink: Although the engine was on the floor and theres no brackets in the way :lol:

paz

ki_saj_ng said:
mark turbo - thats the one, its sodding impossible getting my hands there, tried from the end of the wheel but no way, its running top mount at the mo so its hidden behind the bracket.

whats the best way to get to it then?
Have you got big fat hands? :( :lol: :wink:

Paz

Shaun

:D Hi mate,i changed my little bro's transferbox in situe the other week,a right nasty job :lol: but anyway,jack up the front of car and support it on axlestands,remove the driverside front wheel,the seperate the trackrod end from the hub,this lets you move the hub out of the way and also lets you get your arm through the hole where the steering rack is(you need very long arms).Then if you undo the 'Y' bracket so that all the bolts are out,you can lift it up an rest it on the steering rack,you should then be able to reach the speed sensor conecter :D The other way was to remove the frontpipe off the exhaust and get your arm around the transferbox,only problem though is you can only get one arm around it :wink:

Hope this helps.

ki_saj_ng

paz - not fat hands, just no room to move, i have the Y bracket in place and the mongoose so no way i can get there from underneath - n dont forget that u cant see anything :shock:

cheers shaun, will have a shot at that later if i get the chance, the thing is i need to open the connector and turn the pins around and then join it up again.

gonna be a mission but it needs to be done.

ill have a shot and let u guys know.

anyone confirm the colours on the wire?

i think i have it green on green and red on black :?

ki_saj_ng

SORTED!!!

took me 4eva getting this sorted but finnaly managed, chopped off the connecter as it was impossible to repair in that postion, joined the wires and then soldered them up.

alls working now :D