NSF knocking at low speed

youngsyp

Hi,
I have a very slight NSF knocking noise, sounds like a balljoint, at low speeds of up to about 40 mph. It will only occurs on uneven ground. I have changed the entire front wishbones recently with a whiteline anti lift kit and front urethane bushes. Also, the arb links are new also with urethane bushes. It seems to be less pronounced if the car has been standing for a few days and if I have no passengers. It all points to the top mounts. Any ideas ?

Stevo

ball joing will knock on uneven ground. at any speed, sometimes when pulling off as the weight lifts the car up then when changing gear the car drops a bit hebce the knocking.

check all rubber mounts
anti roll bar
ball joint
wishbone

A

AZ STE

I know this may sound daft but have you after market side repeaters as mine dont fit that tight and the Drivers side knocks at low speed :wink:

youngsyp

As I say, I have renewed the front wishbones including the balljoints, the arb link pints and have replaced all the rubber bushed with urethane ones at the front within the last 2 months. It was exactly the same before and after these were changed and everything is torqued as it should be, so I think they can be ruled out.

I don't have aftermarket side repeaters so, it's not these either. Any other suggestions ? I still think its the top mounts. Anyone had experience of these going ?

Stevo

pop ur bonnet and turn ur wheel can u hear any knocking or play from the top mount??
do u have a strut brace?

youngsyp

Yep, I do have a strut brace. I guess any movement would be noticable in the suspension struts piston rod. I was gonna try to tighten them up, as I had some monkeys fit the lowering springs. They didn't even know which way round to put the springs even though it tells you at the bottom ! The nut on the piston rod is probably loose !

Timur 008

I get a similar thing on full lock or when i turn the steering wheel i get a clicking noise... :roll:
i've had the steering rack & cv joints changed still there is that annoying sound "click" :(

Dooie Pop Pop

check that the nut is done up on top of the strut , sound daft but this happened to mine and gary' s (spares) put your hand on the nut push down on wing & see if you can feel the 'donk'

youngsyp

I found out what it is now. It's my bloody Powerstation Bumpsteer kit :twisted: Got one of Gordon Kay's ones on order to replace it. I've had the clonking for a little while now. Should have clicked :D that it was the rose joints as I had the kit fitted in May 03, about 12k miles ago now ! So, it probably lasted about 10 months without boots on ! They're on their way as well :wink:

Timur: That sounds like the lower arm ball joint or the ARB link pin. Check these for play !