Octane Boost thing

R

RJC

If you have the banzai mag with the 10 fastest Pulsars, turn a couple of pages back from the last page, and you'll see what I'm on about advitised.

Any ideas if it would work?

ram5ay

Defo Not. There is no way you can change the chemical composition of fuel by putting it through a metal tube.
I spoke to these guys a while back because the manager at my work reconed it would be a good idea, so got one of these fuel cat things :roll: . I told him it was a load of rubbish, and phoned the suppliers up to see if they would gaurantee that it actually changed the octane rating of fuel....... they point blank refused.
Just look at their address in the ad, would you trust your R not to melt with sometrhing from "The old milking shed, St John's farm" fiddling with its fuel supply. :lol:

OZ-Racing

ram5ay said:
There is no way you can change the chemical composition of fuel by putting it through a metal tube
It's been a while since I was at school and many ales have been consumed since, but iirc it's possible to change the chemical composition of water by just passing it through a magnetic field :idea: , or something like that, I really should have paid more attention.

You know those things that you can clamp around the outside of you domestic water pipes called 'Limescale Wizard' or something like that, which essentially make 'hard' water 'softer' by messing with the magnesium / calcium oxides or whatever :roll: :oops:

I can't fudging remember, it's been ages, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

These things are non-intrusive and require no maintenance, so I suppose it's possible that you may be able to do something to fuel, but what exactly, I don't know because as has been pointed out before, if these things really did work, then surely all cars would be produced with them :?:
Then again I should imagine there are a lot of inventions which would save us money, but have been swept under the carpet so the fat cats can keep getting richer. Everlasting light bulbs :idea:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
IMO, it's the same every time. If these things are so good and work, why don't the manufacturers fit them when the car's made?

A

AndrewD

how do you know it doesnt work? have you all tried it?

im not saying it will or it wont but the idea sounds feasible

for example:

- top quality repirators use chemicals in their pads to filter out more than 99.9% harmful fumes etc

and heres good one you should all know

-catalytic converters change the properties of the exhaust gas by chemical and kinetic reactions

so i ask why would it not be possible to do the same with the fuel?

you could have a chemical that enriches the fuel as it passes?

whether this company has it right or not is another question, but the idea is still good

Simmo

The method of polarising the fuel composition by passing it through an electromagnetic field has the effect of removing many inperfections within the fuel, this doesnt increase RON but does help to remove side effects caused by less processed fuel so the direct effect is that it improves efficiency for the engine. I dunno what the result is to the fuel, I wouldnt have thought it would be all that good for the engine though unless set up correctly.

A similar system is used by ferrari to purify fuel during test sessions (youve probably seen the shell lorry parked next to the ferrari paddock area at the F1).

It is possible to change the chemical composition of fuel relatively easily thus increasing the RON rating dramatically but I doubt youd be able to fit it in a car. When you buy the octane booster additives these have been basically made using the same process but in much larger quantities.

Cheers, Simmo

R

Riggsbie

When I was post-grad at University I was asked to check out a magnetic fuel/engine performance device on my engine test bed......

The device was claimed to have a 2 - 5% improvement in fuel economy, when we tested it, we could see NO improvement whatsoever... Anyway 2% is within the repeatability or tests anyway so maybe they just took a high fuel consumption figure for their baseline condition and a low fuel consumption figure on their test with their "device" fitted, who knows.....

We saw no improvements in power or fuel consumption......

I think Joe Public think they have had benefits just so they can justify the £30 they just spent, and not feel like a t w a t for being conned........

Just the thoughts of an engine calbration engineer working in a large Motor Manufacturer........