Octane booster?

S

Stoned

I 'm going on the track at Trax for a session. I was wondering if I should buy a little octane booster to add to the optimax to make sure it all runs smoothly?

If so which one?

:twisted:

S

stokie1

always thought octane booster did sweet FA unless
car is mapped to run it

S

Stoned

Well a guy at work I was talking too said it wont give any real increase in power, but it should make things run smoother and cooler.

Wondering if that was true and other peoples experience. It's only £6 for a bottle so cheap if it adds a little insurance to reliability

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Unless you have a learning ecu which can detect higher octane ratings , it woun't give you any power at all. (unless you're already running in det and being backed off by the ecu :? )

It may help protect you against det on the track once your engine heats up and all the temps start rising, if you're already running close to the danger zone. If you've never had any problems before then I wouldn't worry about it.

It certainly won't harm anything to put it in.

M

Mr Overboooost

octane booster is a complete waste of time and money just go to tescos and get some 99 in yer tank

cheers
gary

Fire & skill

Vintage member
millers cvl turbo works - increases your octane level, but if you are looking for more power from it you need to advance your timing. it will help stop det and keep things cool. an £8 bottle treats about 20 litres

rayman75

Fire & skill said:
millers cvl turbo works - increases your octane level, but if you are looking for more power from it you need to advance your timing. it will help stop det and keep things cool. an £8 bottle treats about 20 litres
advance timing by how much???

Mr GTiR

Fire & skill said:
it will help stop det and keep things cool. an £8 bottle treats about 20 litres
a week before i'm going to Trax i'm adding a bottle to a full tank to let it run through the system. Just before goin out on track i'm going to add another bottle.

It's not to increase power but it's insurance to prevent DET while the car is being nailed out on track.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I used to do this too. For what its worth I used 1l Silkolene bottle per tank, Cost about £6 per bottle if you bought 5. Oilman might be an option for these with discount etc.

I never bothered "Running it through first" as I was using it for protection. If 99-Ron was available I might have used that but If my car was mapped to run 99 then I'd still probably throw in a bottle of booster.

My reasoning was if the car is running fine on the road without det, what will it be like after 20 minutes of being ragged around a track where under bonnet/engine/charge temps were all significantly raised.

IMO, even if octane booster does not add any more power, the engine always runs smoother.

Mr GTiR

buffalobilla said:
dont use the NOS octance booster in the blue bottle, complete waste of time :x
I've just been told that this stuff is £11 a bottle :shock:

Anyone else got an opinion on this stuff? I just thought they were all the same :?:

Also, i've been told the best one is the Nos Formular Racing 1. This stuff is suppose to increase fuel by 7 points and retails at £30 per bottle.

I can get it at £17 per bottle.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
its been discussed before - but i can only go on my own experience, i ran my R solely on optimax, the timing was set to 20 degrees. if i put ANY other fuel in the car it pinked like a barsteward :x so optimax only.

if i added a bottle of cvl turbo i did notice a lot better response and what seemed like a lot better burn from the fuel.

put it this way: optimax + cvl turbo on a RR day gave me 336 bhp at 1.1 bar. this was with an RB box so wether this gave me any more power i cant say.

if your timing is retarded then octane booster will do bugger all apart from stop det