OE front dampers !

youngsyp

Hi guys,

Had an annoying knocking/cluncking from the NSF of the car for as long as I can remember. Got the missus to jump up and down on the front cross memeber :shock: so I could try to locate it once and for all. It appears to be coming from the NSF damper so, my thoughts are that this is on the way out. It isn't leaking but, is this a common issue on old (75k mile) dampers ?

Also, how much would 2 OE dampers cost from Mr Nissan ?

Cheers

Paul

JIMMYBACK

too much matey i bet u could probbo buy some k sport coilovers and have change from what they would cost u :shock:

OZ-Racing

If it isn't leaking I would have thought your damper was fine :?

Your bushes have probably perished or something like that :D (technical eh :wink: :lol: )

boucherie

if you want, ive got a set of front dampers and springs that have only covered 58K if you wana buy them and see if the problem persists :?:

youngsyp

Thanks for the comments but, it's not the bushes as these are all poly and won't be the top mounts as these are Cusco pillowball items. I thought it might have been one of these that hadn't been tightened correctly but, I put a vernier guage down the top nut and both sides are done up to the same degree, exactly :?

I thought the OE dampers were around £135 each from Nissan ?!

boucherie, how much are you after for your front dampers ? would you consider selling them seperate of the springs ?

What sort of damage are the K Sport coilovers ?

Cris

A pair of rear dampers for my old Sunny GTI was about £90 from Nissan.

Of course being the GTIR the dampers will have different rates (though physically will be the same) so Nissan will probably double the cost.

K-Sport/D2 coilovers can be had for around £550 for a set. I would suggest that you'll need the car re-aligned if you go down that route.

ram5ay

Your damper might have a bit of side play in it through wear, seen this a few times before (even on an evo v) causing a clunking noise with no leaks, you should see this if you jack up that corner and pull/push the top/bottom of the wheel like checking for a bottom balljoint. Also pillowball topmounts can make noise/get play in them if they are worn, but they would have to be pretty old or have been in an accident or something.
Think the std front dampers are about £100 each, cant mind if that was nissan or adl price tho.
:wink:

youngsyp

Thanks chaps, that gives me a few more ideas.

One more question :roll: I have seen that the Koni suspension kit uses inserts for the front. Is this the case with the OE set up i.e. do they use inserts that fit in the struts ? If so, what fixes them in, is it a screw in collar or similar ? If it is, could this be loose causing up an down movement of the insert and the resultant knocking ?

A long short but, worth a try :wink:

Keira

the insert bolts into the original strut body at the hub end, the original struts are butchered to get them in

if you have cusco mounts it may just be them clunking ?

youngsyp

deisel weasel said:
the insert bolts into the original strut body at the hub end, the original struts are butchered to get them in
Yeah, I had a look at them last night and they seem as described :!: There's no side to side play in the damper either :?: :!:

deisel weasel said:
if you have cusco mounts it may just be them clunking ?
They are only a few months old though and don't look like they're moving in any way, not even if the car is bumped up and down :?

I think this is pointing back to the NS track arm as there doesn't seem to be any play in the dampers at all :evil: