Oil from Block

bensmith907

Hello all,

As usual I come with problems.

I have fitted a new engine whist I rebuild the old one. but the new engine has a real oil drinking problem. when I go on a long drive the right side of my car becomes soaked in Oil. it appears to be coming from the mounting point indicated on the picture. im not sure what would be mounted there but when the car's running I can see air coming out of it with specs of oil (doesnt seem that bad even at 3000+ revs) but Im loosing near on a litre of oil every time I drive to work (10 miles)

anyone seen this before? I think Im just going to run a bolt down there to plug it

If you draw a straight line down from the drive shaft boot clip to the block that's mounting point im having problems with

(image is looking up under the engine just under the oil cooler)

Last edited:

bensmith907

Danny Im doing everything I can to stop the leak and I mostly drive my other car now because of it. I've thought Ive fixed this so many time now- sumps been off twice, turbo banjos have been tightened I even found a bolt missing from the oil cooler manifold. every time I have it in the garage I cannot replicate the leak even with someone sitting on the revs whilst I inspect.

Im very aware that my oil leak is dangerous this is why its top of my priorities atm.

I have now plugged the hole with a stud but- I hope to god that it'll fix it.
but please if there is any component that this is a common problem now would be a good time to mention

red reading

clean the whole lot with brake cleaner, then dust talk powder over the engine. now drive for a short distance.....bingo you find leak

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Methyl Ethyl Ketone? What are you doing with that; it's a controlled substance because it's a precursor for making amphetamines isn't it?

Why not just buy a can of the stuff; it's easier to spay it on than slosh the solvent (I've tried using IPA and acetone, and it's just easier to spray from a can). In a pinch throttle body cleaner will also work.

bensmith907

Methyl Ethyl Ketone? What are you doing with that; it's a controlled substance because it's a precursor for making amphetamines isn't it?.
Is it now? I use it all the time- can't stand the stuff! Just thinking about it anyway probably wouldn't want to use that stuff anywhere near rubber so the brake cleaner will do. A mate of mine told me its the same stuff- but its probably not!

P

pulsarboby

timing chain tensioner gasket (oil is dripping and running off bottom of the p/s bracket below)