Oil weep

S

smcnairn

My clutch is slipping and its due a change in the next few weeks after its MOT. I was under the car today having butchers before the MOT and noticed some fluid which i think is gear box oil around the gear box casing and engine, nothing major not enough to drip just looks wet. Could this be the seal on the gearbox casing gone? It seems strange how the clutch has started slipping and this has happend, any ideas so if i need to order a seal or other it can all be done in at once??

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

possibly! check your rear c/s oil seal as well whilst its off

S

smcnairn

My mate just mentioned the crank shaft oil seal too think im as well to replace it when the clutch is getting done. When u remove the gearbox casing is there a seal to replace or is it just a sealant?

P

pulsarboby

yes thats what i just said! its an oil seal behind flywheel!!!

youngsyp

Check the gearbox and transfer box drain and refill plugs. Mine are weeping too. Some PTFE (plumbers tape) will fix that, when you drain and refill the boxes.

Also, check your reverse light switch (little black circular plastic thing, with a cable coming out of it) on the side of the gearbox. It has a little seal ring around it that could leak (as mine is). You could take this out (after you've drained the gearbox) and clean it up and seal it with some silicon sealant, when you put it back in. Be careful if you do take it out though as, there's a little white plastic part, with a metal strip on the back, that attaches to a part inside the gearbox. This rubs up against the switch to give the signal for your reverse lights !

Use some decet oil to refil, like Silkolene Syn 5 or Motul MT90 and the gearbox will be as smooth as a smooth thing from smooth town ! :lol:

S

smcnairn

Had a look there, its lookin more like the gearbox seal or like u mentioned the reverse switch dripping down onto the join either way il do your checks. Sounds like youve done it before! cheers for the help.;-)

youngsyp

smcnairn said:
Had a look there, its lookin more like the gearbox seal or like u mentioned the reverse switch dripping down onto the join either way il do your checks. Sounds like youve done it before! cheers for the help.;-)
Yeah, it's a messy job but, not difficult providing you have the right 'key' for the plugs and something suitable for the refilling part.
The benefits and peace of mind are well worth the mess though !