Ok is my box definatly broken?

C

Coffey

Hi everyone I put a post up yesterday saying that I had lost power in 5th but now it has got worse and just wanted your opinions as to weather or not I definatly need a new gear box before I go and buy 1.

Ok basically yesterday I lost power in 5th while I was driving up a hill however it didnt jump out of 5th or make and horrible noises it just stopped working so thought it may have just been the clutch. But then when i got back in the car to drive it home I noticed as i was going slow in 1st that it was making a noise as if something was hitting the floor so I pulled over and had a look. Nothing was hitting the floor but as I moved forward slowly in 1st and 2nd it was making a kind of clunking noise. but wasnt in 3rd. The car was also making a funny kind of rattling noise when in nutral. I then drove home and by the time I got back I had completly lost 1st and 2nd gear......

So basically now I dont have 1st and 2nd as it wont let me put it in those gears, i can put it in 5th but it just revs and doesnt do anything and I still have 3rd 4th and reverse?????

So what do you all think does it sound to you like I need a new gear box??? Its just odd as the car didnt make any lound noises when it happened :(

Thanks

Dan

P

pulsarboby

100% definately the box dan;-)
you will find that its probably stripped 5th gear and the teeth are churning round in the box and have now started to strip the other gears aswell, soon youll have no gears.

when the oils drained you will find a load of little bits of teeth come out with it.

EVOBAD

as bob says best bet is to drain the oil from the box before removing it if the oil comes out clean it might be yuor clutch as a freind had similar problems but his was the clutch good luck

MarkTurbo

Coffey said:
Its just odd as the car didnt make any lound noises when it happened :(
They wont get noisy unless any of the broken teeth find their way into other parts of the box, which will be what has happened with yours now ;-) If your lucky most the bits drop down and stick to the magnet in the bottom of the box (thats what happened on one of my broken boxes anyway :lol: ) I stripped all the teeth off 2nd gear and it made no noise whatsoever, i was only 2 miles from home so just drove back steadily and when i got the box off the car all i had to do was replace the input shaft and the other half of 2nd gear as the rest of the box was fine 8)

You should have stopped driving it as soon as it happened ;-)

C

Coffey

I know but I had to get home from work and its was broken anyways :( plus wasnt 100% sure it was the box at first we thought it may have been the clutch