Opinions on turbo setup please..

J

JimmyNX2000

Hey guys, I'm new over here but i've been part of the sr20forum of america for a while now. I wanted to ask you guys for an opinion/suggestsions on a setup i will be building over the summer.

Consists of:
Pulsar GTi-R Longblock (54C). No turbo or injs etc. Will leave the bottom end alone as it is fine, run ARP head bolts and Cometic headgasket.
Protech, Revhard ( if turbo can fit), or Custom made exhaust manifold flanged for a T3 and Tial 44mm wastegate.
Precision Turbo SC61
GRID Tuning ecu with 720 cc injs, fuel rail, Z maf, and AFC.

I plan on being able to have a laggy streetable beast under 15psi, and hopefully over 450 whp around 22-25psi..

I would also like to know if the stock cams/valvetrain can safely go to 8,000 RPM as the ECU has an 8,000 limiter.

I'd like to do this on stock cams... otherwise i may just sell my old N/A parts and buy some bump sticks. I'ts always fun to do the harley shake.

Also this will be going into my 1993 Nissan NX2000 as a FWD application. We use our transmissions or G20 gearboxes as well. just clearing that up. Anyways thanks for taking a look.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
450whp is a bleeding lot of power. It could be touching high 500s-600 at the fly.
Not sure if 720 injectors will be good for 450whp, you may be maxing them out. They'll do 450flywheel no probs.
I'd fit ARP rod bolts if you're planning on revving it, but I'd also be tempted to have it lightened and balanced and forged internals for that much power. The standard internals may last, but I wouldn't like to say how long.
Standard Gtir cams tend to make max power around 6200rpms, so having the ability to rev to 8000 will be wasted to a degree as power will have tailed off dramatically by then.

Have you got some nice wide Mickey Ts or Hoosiers for the front of your car, you'll need them;-)

J

JimmyNX2000

yea you have a point. eventually i will upgrade cams and make use of the limiter. im just wanting to know if it can handle it in case of a mis shift etc.

I think there has been others making this power on a pulsar engine here in the states, so i probably dont need to ask all these questions. the car will be seeing less than 15psi ( 10 would be nice) on the street but when i want to boogie i know i can go up to 20+. from what i know i dont see why i cant push 25-30 psi on a tuned car.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've hit well over 8000rpm on a missed gear. I got away with no damage on the standard valve train, although people have broke rocker arms before, so a rocker stopper kit wouldn't go amiss.
With touching 600bhp and traction, your fwd could well be a mid 10sec car:shock:

We only have a handful of cars here running near that power. One guys uses his on the road as an every day car and is running over 2bar. Running 1bar would be a waste on that set up if the engine can handle it. Maybe have an AVC-R fitted and set it for 1bar off 1.5normal and whatever as setting 2.

If do build a lag monster, the competition will be gone before you spool up;-) There's plenty of turbos that will do good power with lowish lag.:-D