opinions wanted

Murff93GTiR

so ive been a member on here for about 8 months now and ive never dropped a post to say hi to everyone....so hi.

now thats out the way im in turmoil in what to do with my R,i got it lat last year after swapping my evo1 for it and loved it ever since.when i returned from tour of afghan with the army i couldnt wait to drive it again and with a bit of extra money i thought i would make it stand out a bit more so got it re-sprayed Bayside Blue,looking great and wanting to show off my freshly painted R i stardted heading home from my barracks in edinburgh when my R desided to splutter,throw out alot of smoke and the die.trying everything at the side of the road to get her started but no luck so a nice recovery home and further inspection revealled that the injectors wouldnt open,tracing it back to the hks fcon ecu fault i replaced it with a stock ecu and loom to then find plenty of fuel....no spark.so pissed off with it i decided REBUILD.upon stripping the engine i found the bottom end was just starting to go so considered this a very luck catch.

so this all happened back in feb and having spent nearly all my tour bonus on parts im finally able to start rebuilding my engine but heres the dilema....im getting a bit scunnered with it and contemplating selling everything and buying a ready done R but dont want too loose the fun of doing it myself.spec so far is:

HI-SPEC 300MM FRONT BRAKE KIT
TEIN COILOVERS
COMPOMOTIVE MO6 ALLOYS
ENGINE BLOCKED BORED OUT TO 87MM FITTED WITH WISECO PISTONS BRAND NEW STD RODS ARP ROD BOLTS ACL MAIN AND ROD BEARINGS
MINT STD CRANK MICROPOLISHED
ALLOY FLYWHEEL
RECONDITIONED CYLINDER HEAD INCLUDING NEW EXHAUST GUIDES AND VALVE STEM SEALS DECOKED HEAD AND VALVES,CHEMICAL CLEAN,RE-SHIMMED VALVES GROUND IN AND SKIMMED,
CLEARANCES SET WITH HKS 264 CAMS AND HKS VERNIERS(O MILES)
FORGE FMIC WITH HARDPIPE KIT
S/S TOP MOUNT TUBULAR EX MANIFOLD
MONGOOSE SYSTEM
ANTI-DIVE BUSHES(NO WISHBONES)
BRAND NEW POLYPUSHED FRONT DROP LINKS
BRAND NEW T/R/ENDS
WHITELINE ANTI ROLL BAR D BUSHES
ZYTEC ECU AND FULL AEROSPEC LOOM WITH COILPACK CONVERSION EX TOURING CAR SYSTEM
COMETIC 1.2MM STEEL HEADGASKET
HEAD GASKET KIT
RECONDITIONED OIL PUMP FITTED WITH NEW CRANK OIL SEAL(LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW)

theres probably parts ive forgotten but i just dont know what to do.any suggestions guys?

GTIR1000

well you kind of answered your own question mate "dont want too loose the fun of doing it myself". If you buy one already done you will not get that satisfaction. just a thought

JAmie

Murff93GTiR

true mate its just gettin a bit of a pain going on with it,plus im starting to forget a few bits n bobs on how to do things which is getting a bit more stressful as its my first R build

shroom

see how far away VSSURVINE is he might be able to lend a hand to you, or post up your problems and someone will be sure to put you in the right direction. if you just need help on specific things its always handy to have someone look over it that knows the R well. In the long run it might cost a few £££ but it will safe your sanity and your pocket in the long run as a load of bits is a chore to sell.

mikeyp

so what stage of the build are you at now?
are you stuck as to how to continue, as in what job to do next? or just lost the love a bit as it all seems like a huge mountain of tasks?

if you do want the self gratification of building it yourself then we are allways here to help. there are workshop manuals you can download that cover every aspect of building the car and trouble shooting problems. at the end of the day it's just a machine with a number of systems that work with each other to form a car.
if you need step by step help then post the problems up as you have them and i'm sure the guys on here are more than able to guide you through each issue and onto the next one.

i've not had my car that long and i've got the engine out to do the bottom end, shims and oil pump. so far i've got stuck on a few little things and the forums have shown me the way. your not the only one trying to piece together a pulsar from a pile of bits :lol:

by the sounds of it your going to have a nicely built R once you bolt it all back together. that has to be the light at the end of the tunnel

warpspeed

Go for it mate, that's a nice collection of parts.
Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Kilbirnie.

Murff93GTiR

Thanks guys.i have kind of lost the love forbit a bit just because everytime i look at the garage its just a huge pile of parts and a half built engine with a rolling shell sitting outside.but thinkin back to when it was running it was so much fun tobdrive which makes me want to persevere with it and finish it.

Warpspeed im in dundee mate not sure how far away that is.

pulsar moley will try and get some pics up soon but dont have any good ones of it complete :(

Shame your not on the Isle of Wight mate, I have just finished my engine so it's all fresh to me and I'd love to help ya...least I can do as your out fighting for this country!!
I'd stick with it mate, I felt like you at one stage but I carried on and as soon as it starts to take shape you'll realise it's all worth it.....well, untill I turn the key the first time so not sure yet lol.
I found the online workshop manual very good and ther are lots of good guys on this forum that have always helped me out when I have had a question, so plenty of help for you if you want it.
James.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you've lost the drive to complete it, you can just leave it for a while until you feel a little more enthused. As soon as you start missing it, you'll decide you can be bothered with it after all.

grim_d

It is easy to get disheartened and lose interest but the above advice is good.^

Also just remember how lucky you are that you can work on it whenever you want. I have pretty much been unable to work on mine for the past 6 months due to a duff arm and I'm not out of the woods yet and I'm desperate to get back to it.

Hopefully this lights a fire under your belly and you get out there wielding some spanners!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sometimes a kick in the arse helps.

Mine sat for quite a while because the brakes had gone and I didn't know what to do about it; Bob came around and made short work of replacing the pipe, so now I'm itching to get it back out of the garage an on the road again.

Murff93GTiR

hmmm think your right pobody a good kick up the arse could be what i need aswell.gona have alot more time over the next wee while to work on it so hopefully be able to get alot of work done.could really do with a workshop manual for it especially for the timing just now as ive completly forgot how to time it up.if anyone that knows alot about these cars and engines are near the dundee area and fancied giving me a hand it would be much appreciated.

Murff93GTiR

thanks mikeyp going to do a bit of work on it today,so fingers crossed all goes well and will try and get some pics of the car and the engine as it is upto now.

Murff93GTiR

So thanks to a few opinions and comments i pulled my finger out today and started rebuilding my engine.feeling good about but just wondered if anyone can tell me,the moving chain guide slides out and in a bit is this normal?