PINKING problems!!!........very frustratiing...HELP

B

beast14

i can't figure why i'm still pinking!..........this is what i've done:

full rebuild - pistons, bearings, timing chain, etc.
turbo xs bov
front mounted the std intercooler
denso ik24 plugs
std turbo
metal head gasket
custom exhaust 3" to 2 1/2inch piping
jvc plug wires
blitz boost controller
gas - 95ron with octane boost at each fill up

why am i pinking?.......i use to pink before the rebuild but right after it stopped and now it started back again............it's very frusrtating

what can i do??..........what are some probable causes??........any advice would be appreciated..........

kyepan

what level boost are you running?
what ignition timing are you running?
have you uprated your fuel pump?
do you have any form of after market fuel controller to richen the mixutre?

K

KrissJ

Don't wanna sound dumb (its been explained to me before but can't remember), but what's pinking? :oops:

A

AJ4

Pinking is usually caused by something glowing in the cylinder, hot enough to ignite the mixture before the spark plug does. Could be a spark plug tip, a weak spot on the cylinder wall, the edge of a piston etc etc. The piston is trying to compress the mixture ready for the spark, and something else is lighting it first and trying to shove the piston back down the bore.

Not to be confused with detonation, which is different.... :D Detonation happens when the cylinder pressure rises too rapidly and the mixture auto ignites ( like a diesel engine ). Usually caused by too high boost, too high intake temperature, too high compression etc.

K

kizzyturbo4x4

cant you get 98ron?...
check your ingintion at set it at something like18-19dg and then it should be fine at 1-1.1bar at least.

B

beast14

i've got a Z32 fuel pump - i will be installing a walbro 255lph soon......

i normally run at 11psi - 14psi of boost.......

B

beast14

and 95ron is the best we get in this part of the world unfortunately..........sucks, huh???!!!

i'll be installing a fuel controller soon also.........

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
Pinking is usually caused by something glowing in the cylinder, hot enough to ignite the mixture before the spark plug does. Could be a spark plug tip, a weak spot on the cylinder wall, the edge of a piston etc etc. The piston is trying to compress the mixture ready for the spark, and something else is lighting it first and trying to shove the piston back down the bore.
That's pre ignition.
Pinking is the noise assosciated with the start of detonation. A metallic rattling sort of noise.

Just wondering why the det sensor isn't taking care of this for you?

Have you tried getting hold of some octane booster to see if that cures it. It could be down to your hot weather and 95octane fuel. If that's all it is it would be worth retarding your ignition until you get mapped for for 95ron.

Also worth checking is that you aren't just running weak, your cam/valve timing is correct, the plugs are ok , the engine isn't running hot. etc

ram5ay

ok so I just noticed you are allready using a pretty cold plug so scrap that first comment :roll:, I would prob retard your IGN timing a bit if you aint allready tried that.

B

beast14

i use octane booster all the time.....that's why i'm soo confused.........

if i retard the timing though, can i still run high boost 16psi???

what can i do to make my engine run cooler??......i've already run my k&n air filter to the front bumper for cool air.......and front mounted the std intercooler.......

should i change the intercooler???

Fire & skill

Vintage member
you need to retard your timing, it will prob still be set at 20. and you DEF have detonation. if 95 ron is the best you can get, you need to start around 14 deg and work your way forward, bear in mind you will lose out on performance :cry:

B

beast14

average daytime temp. is 33 to 35deg.celius.........very hott!!!

J

John Mc

There was a very long and informative post on gtr.co.uk about octane boosters. Namely that they were all sh!te, and didn't do what they were supposed to. Can you get toluene?

B

beast14

actually, yes i can.....i used to use toluene but my supplier stopped bringing it in............it's now very expensive.........but i could give it a try again and see if the pinking stops...........

Fire & skill

Vintage member
beast14 said:
actually, yes i can.....i used to use toluene but my supplier stopped bringing it in............it's now very expensive.........but i could give it a try again and see if the pinking stops...........
i'd say this will cure it for sure :wink:

K

kizzyturbo4x4

beast14 said:
average daytime temp. is 33 to 35deg.celius.........very hott!!!
that should explane abit then :)

35dg celsius combined with 95ron and 20dg timing and 16psi = deffo detonation!
I would probably give you great advantages to use water injection.

but for now, try as sad to lower your timing to 14 and take upwards as high as you can before DET occurs again.