Pipe coming out of gearbox not connected?

Had a major change in fuel economy virtually overnight,thought it was a petrol leak as there was some drips under the car.Can't find any petrol leaks but found a pipe with oil coming out of it(not massive amounts but enough to cause a drip.The pipe is connected at the top of the gearbox and runs toward the back of the engine bay and has a sharp bend at the end of it. Can't see anything that it looks like it should be connected to,does anyone know where this pipe is supposed to go?
This still leaves me with my petrol problem,used to get 200 miles to a tank,now getting 100miles :cry:

J

jiw

that pipe is in its correct place it is simply a breather, have you done a fault code check? also u noticed any power loss?

Not done a fault check yet but not really noticed any drop in power,does sound like it is missing a little on idle but has always done this and sits at 1400rpm but always been like this too.Will have to read up on how to to the fault check.

J

jiw

1400 rpm is a little high, have you checked for air leak's, im idling at dead on 1000 RPM on the apexi, jeff

geetee

The sharp bend should be clipped into a little plastic clip just on the underside right of the intercooler frame (if you still have the standard top mount).

It may just be because it isn;t vertical enough that oil is escaping from it.

A lot of R's idle high.

Has it always idled that high? If not look for leaks on all the boost and vac pipes....

Could also be something trivial like a dirty MAF given rubbish reading, dirty airfilter, dodgy fuel pressure reg dumping too much fuel in..

Cheers
GeeTeee 8)

Thanks guys,looks like the breather has been left in the wrong place from when the clutch was done a few months ago.
As for the high idle,it has always been like this,took the airfilter out and it was filthy so will replace and see how it goes.

J

Jamz

Does anyone happen to know what direction the gearbox breather outlet pipe (metal one that the rubber pipe is attached to) exits the gearbox ? Mine angles towards the front of the car meaning the rubber pipe has a really sharp bend bend in it when it's clipped under the I/C.

Ta :D

James