Pipe run to Turbo inlet

turblio

Right have a plan to replace the existing black plastic inlet pipe to turbo,
with an alloy hard pipe, one question I have is how much can you shorten the distance between the af meter and the turbo inlet? does anyone know if you gain or lose by doing this... opinions please :wink:
Frank

zia

short pipe's actually help spool up and but it worn,t make signficant power increase to feel it, keep it away from damp/wet area where it can suck up water and keep it away from area's intense heat from mani/turbo.

zia

turblio

Thanks for link matey 8) I will not be shortening the run by much only about 50/75mm but the pipe will be 12mm wider will let you know the results...
Frank

ki_saj_ng

everyone says theres a meant to be whatever distance but i have seen on a MAD golf, with a turbo'd engine. the filter was stuck on the end of the turbo.

dunno if its a good or bad thing but this car was pushin some serious power, il try finding the video but its gonna be hard.

A

AJ4

I shortened mine quite a bit, and now maxes out the afm easily, but it never before ? Must have made a good difference, getting rid of all that corugated shlt as well must have helped 8)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Hi Guys, What you need is one of these :wink: .

3 inch polished Stainless 45 degree bend with any combination of inlet pipes you need. This is the one I made up for myself and it has inlets for my SSQV dump valve and for my oil breather from a catch tank (these are angled back so the air flow comeing from them will not interupt the flow of the inlet to much). It's about 7.5 - 8 inches long and puts a filter right up behind the passenger head light. I made this because I already had a short stainless pipe that put the filter in the same place but it was badly made (not by me :wink:) so I made this one. I have taken some shoots of it assembled with the set up I plan to be using in the next few weeks (Z32 MAF and Apexi Super Filter) just so You can get some idea of scale, I am using it with 2 Samco reducers connected to the standard MAF and 2 inch turbo inlet at the moment and it put the filter in the same place. I have been running this set up for about 3 yearsmapped for 1.2 bar with no problems at all and I didn't think I was going to notice a great difference in performance but the turbo (GTRS) is definitely spooling up quicker and the car seems more responsive.

Anyone interested just let me know exactly what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Keira

ki_saj_ng said:
everyone says theres a meant to be whatever distance but i have seen on a MAD golf, with a turbo'd engine. the filter was stuck on the end of the turbo.
chances are its on a MAP sensor or blow through maf then

ask yourself this, if the filters on the turbo wheres he put the maf :wink:

N

Norfy

used a old supra silicone hose for mine, sits right behind the head light. feels a litle better up the road :D

N

Norfy

put the url in if u fancy a look, i cant work out how to post pics :evil:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Be careful using just a length of silicon on a turbo inlet especially if running big boost, I've seen the turbo literally suck the hose so hard it closes in on itself.

G

gavmc18

was just away to make my own pipe run aswell and was wondering if i need the hose from the boost solenoid going into it as the boost solenoid doesnt actually get used as i have a manual boost controller

and can i modify it so that i dont have the oil breather pipe going into the induction pipe

gav