PLEASE HELP BEFORE I CRY!!!!!!

F

fatboygtir

hi guys i have a bit of a problem i recently noticed that there was oil coming out of my engine from somewhere when i looked it looked like the rocker cover gasket so i changed it but (symtons):

it has a rattle/fast clonking which comes and goes on idle but is constant through the revs/gears

the engine has become very sluggish on acceleration :cry:

i have noticed a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust(very little) and :cry: moisture coming out of it

also final thing the waste gate chatter is very very quite i can hardley hear it. :cry:

any help would be great

cheers

O

Odin

I'd do a compression test first matey.

Also check the oil cap for white sludge, It could be one on many thing's really, Head gasket/piston's/turbo or it maybe something simple you never know untill you do the proper checks.

rob

F

fatboygtir

stupid moment coming up, how do you do a compression test as i have never done one?

cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
fatboygtir said:
also final thing the waste gate chatter is very very quite i can hardley hear it. :cry:
Do you have an induction kit of factory airbox? It will be very quiet with the factory airbox fitted.

What does your boost gauge read?

If it's low, check you don't have any boost leaks or that the wastegate actuator rod hasn't come off or that the actuator is stuck open.

If the white smoke and moisture is only at start up, it's probably all condensation, if it's also long after it's warmed up it may be signs of a head gasket leaking.

It may be worth doing an ecu fault test, to see if anything is being logged.
But also have a compression test done like V suggested (just in case :( )

O

Odin

fatboygtir said:
stupid moment coming up, how do you do a compression test as i have never done one?

cheers
You take out the spark plugs then screw in the compression tester and turn the motor over, You should see something like 145 to 160 psi on each cylinder :wink: .
As long as there all pretty much the same you should be ok, ie mine where 155 160 160 160.

rob

B

Brett G

Whats the oil pressure like? Do you have any red warning lights coming on?

F

fatboygtir

it came on when the rocker cover gasket went, haven't put anymore oil in yet as car was just put straight onto my drive until i had asked you guys if you had any ideas what it could be

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
vpulsar said:
fatboygtir said:

cheers
You take out the spark plugs then screw in the compression tester and turn the motor over, You should see something like 145 to 160 psi on each cylinder :wink: .
As long as there all pretty much the same you should be ok, ie mine where 155 160 160 160.

rob
Also do it on an engine upto running temperature, disable the ignition so the engine doesnt start and disable the injectors so the cylinders don't flood.

G

Glyn

Hi Fatboygtir, my R has one of the same probs- the rattling/knocking which like you said can be there for a while then dissapear :? Its weird cause its there (loud) on tickover but remains constant through rev range. there's nothing loose to be seen or felt, and cant locate exactly WHERE on engine its coming from, really hope someone can shed some light :( The white smoke does'nt sound like turbo, this would be clouds of black on back off/gear change, been there mate :roll: