PLEASE HELP ITS NOT MY PUMP

N

NEIL R

Started first time as normal but then would not rev then cut out now it just turns over could it be my fuel pump how do i check.

The fuel pump will usually run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on. Listen for the pump to see if it works with the ignition on. Failing that take the cover off to gain access to the top of the tank and use a test lamp to check for power whilst cranking.
Or, find where the fuel lines attach to the fuel rail, crack off the nut if there is one and crank it and look for fuel (beware of petrol spraying, maybe use a rag). Might even have a schrader type valve which you use to read fuekl pressure, could always hold the valve core down while cranking.
Check your fuses aswell.
Jay

No noise from pump and no fuel coming from fuel pipe running to the fuel rail also taken spark plug out turned it over and there is no petrol smell i just dont no were the fuse/relay is for the pump so i can check that anbody got any other ideas.

I have now removed the pump :shock: put power to it and it span as though it is working now i am really stumped could do with knowing were the fuses or is there a relay and how you check a relay as they are normaly a sealed unit as it must be fuel related but have half a tank:?:

E

Edd

i know one fuel pump relay is in the relay box on the drivers side of the engine in a black box. I would go and check exactly where it is, but i aint got my car so cant, but i know the fuel pump relay is in there, not sure what symbol it hason it

J

jasegould

Do you have power to the pump terminals when you crank?

I know how to test a relay but hard to explain. Remove the relay and probe the terminals on the car.

There will be
1. Ignition live
2. Earth
3. Large supply from battery
4. Supply to pump

Probe each terminal, you want one that is positive when you turn the ignition on and cranking, one earth, one (usually the larger terminal) will be a supply from the battery and the one that isnt anything (usually opposite the battery supply and again a larger terminal) will go to the pump.

Dont quote me tho, could be more terminals/different layout or I could be wrong :roll:

If you search electrical forums/sites you should be able to find out how to test a relay, the pins should be numbered and each number has a designation (ie earth, battery etc)

Hope this helps

GTIR-LOZ

man im not totally sure about this but there is one relay on the o/s front of the enfine bay think its a green one, and there is a fuse in the main fuse box in the interior, not too sure which one it is but i know its either 15 amp or 10 amp :roll: , i will find out for definate which one it is tomorow, i had a similar prob and it ended up that the fuse was blowing all the time when you reved the car if you replaced the fuse it was fine at idle would run all day, if you then reved it it cut out, this was due to the fuel pump wire which was rubbed through and earthing out on the accelerator pedal, the wire is the red/black wire coming out of the fuse box, if you have ahd an alarm fitted check the fuse out first as they wire into the fuse box sometimes which means all the wires arnt nice and neat as they should be

GTIR-LOZ

also to do a quick test on the relay bypass it by joining the supply from the battery to the pump, the pump will then be heard to run if everything else is ok, it should start too, dont leave it on too long though just to see if the pump runs

N

NEIL R

Thanks guys i found the green relay it seams ok so i refitted the wires to the pump turned the ignition on and it worked :shock: maybe i desturbed a wire or somthing any body had this happen before all done is clean a few contacts and took the relay apart and cleaned it.

The pump sound is like a very smooth motor not very loud though is there any way to see if it is pumping whilst its out of car i was thinking maybe it its got power put not enough to pump this sound possible or am i just talking *hit.

N

NEIL R

:( Put the car back together when i switch the egnition on i could here the pump car started first time again but then as before it cut out after about 2mins ticking over know i can not hear the pump again :evil: and the car will not start i do not know what else to check. :cry:

zia

if you,ve got a volt tester check relay output to fuel pump start the car and check if the relay switchs pump on,and for how long. perhaps the relay is switching current off to the fuell pump,try a different relay to see if it o.k with a new one.

zia