Police & Noise!!!!!!!

B

biga1

Hey there looking for some info, i became the proud owner of my R this week and after just a few days had the joy of being pulled over, they said my exhaust was illegal and far too noisy, they will let it slide this time, but next time if i haven't changed it, i will be towed. Its a mongoose with 5" tail. Whats the deal is it illegal?
Feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Did they have a sound meter to measure the volume? There are guidelines for such things. They can't just arbitarily declare your exhaust illegal without having some evidence to support their assertion. An assertion without evidence is an assumption ;)

B

biga1

They didn't have anything to measure it with, but said if they did it would definitely fail, and they wouldn't let me drive off next time, don't know what to do, as chances are i will meet them again, coz i saw them twice after they stopped me on the same night on the way home! Is their a decibel limit?

zxczxc

tell them to **** off and that their all over paid faggots who should spend their time looking for people not paying insurance and paedophiles rather than wasting time moaning about a 80decibel exhaust

idiots i ****in hate them

O

Odin

I got caught out by this years ago and was taken to court and lost even with out some kind of evidence to back them up!!

The judge said that he took the policeman's word that it was to noisy and found me guilty and fined me anyway.

So don't count on the fact that they don't carry some kind of metre around with them, As some sort of chance to get away with it in court, Because you wont !!!!

Rob

azboy

im sure it 96 dec but cant be sure thats what ive heard and that would be measure at roughlty half the max engine speed, but then again for mot's if the exhaust is louder then a average condition standard exhaust its a fail (which is illegal) therefore really all our exhausts are not legal but i ignore this and i think most other mot teters do to, so they can do u what about trying to fit a decate silencer these do silence the noise as mines a big box the size of a cat but under high load there just as loud as there still straight through

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

lol to zxczxc
im sure that will go down well!

dont know the law regarding car, but i was always getting pulled on my bike as i had an illegal can (silencer), which was stamped NOT FOR ROAD USE they used to give me a ticket and the bike had to be taken to mot station where i allegedly put the road can back on and was checked by the tester.
the slip of paper confirming that bike had been checked was then produced at the local nick along with my licence and other docs, and thats the end of it.........unless you get caught again, next time its a straight nick with 3 points on your licence to boot!

would imagine its exactly the same with a car.

B

biga1

What do you guys recommend? Police are rife on the road home, see them most days, just a matter of time before i get pulled again. Should i just replace it with something quieter than the mongoose, any recommendations?
thanks

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
the same shit here in ireland i got the same bullshit of the cops it is 95dec so tell m 2 **** off:thumbsup: stick a flamer kit on the goose and barbq the ****ers:lol: :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

biga1 said:
What do you guys recommend? Police are rife on the road home, see them most days, just a matter of time before i get pulled again. Should i just replace it with something quieter than the mongoose, any recommendations?
thanks

Changing the 5" can for the 3.5" version would be a good start fella ;-) .

Oh and keeping the noise level and your right foot off the throttle in built up area's might be a good start to, That way you wont get noticed as much :roll: .

Rob

Adam L

if it's a public neusence, meaning they've had numerous complaints then they can do somethin about it

the old bill pull people over to fill a quota, it may not be in your interest to talk to them but it is in their's, i got pulled over for a rear number plate, which is how it came from factory...

i got asked to replace it or else, i left it and i've had police cars sit behind me several times without a problem

the mongoose isn't the loudest system either so i'm led to beleive, try the 5zigen, i've had no problems with it

Odin said:
I got caught out by this years ago and was taken to court and lost even with out some kind of evidence to back them up!!

The judge said that he took the policeman's word that it was to noisy and found me guilty and fined me anyway.

So don't count on the fact that they don't carry some kind of metre around with them, As some sort of chance to get away with it in court, Because you wont !!!!

Rob
You obviously didn't have a very good lawyer. If the police are charging you with breaking a LAW they need evidence to prove it. If they don't have factual evidence of you breaking a LAW, you can't be prosecuted against such LAW.

I once had a conversation with my local traffic police superintendant after being stopped for having small letters on my number plate.I basically had to tell him the LAW he was trying to enforce was incorrect and gave him the link to the dvla website which did have exact measurements that my plate was made to.
I also told him that i was not prepared to spend £10 getting my local garage to sign off the horte just because one of his officers didn't know what he was talking about. He told me he would get back to me once he had checked the information i told him ,as he obviously didn't know the LAW either, a couple of hours later i recieved a very appologetic call from him. one of the exact phrases he used was
"it makes us look a bit silly when we don't know the LAW we are trying to enforce"

There are LAW's about everything. if he can't prove, or simply doesn't know the LAW then he can't prosecute you under it.

B

biga1

yeah they also got me on my plate and told me that had to be changed as well, its slightly trimmed in length, lettering is standard though! Not worried bout that though just my exhaust!

Adam L

sunny scott said:
You obviously didn't have a very good lawyer. If the police are charging you with breaking a LAW they need evidence to prove it. If they don't have factual evidence of you breaking a LAW, you can't be prosecuted against such LAW.

I once had a conversation with my local traffic police superintendant after being stopped for having small letters on my number plate.I basically had to tell him the LAW he was trying to enforce was incorrect and gave him the link to the dvla website which did have exact measurements that my plate was made to.
I also told him that i was not prepared to spend £10 getting my local garage to sign off the horte just because one of his officers didn't know what he was talking about. He told me he would get back to me once he had checked the information i told him ,as he obviously didn't know the LAW either, a couple of hours later i recieved a very appologetic call from him. one of the exact phrases he used was
"it makes us look a bit silly when we don't know the LAW we are trying to enforce"

There are LAW's about everything. if he can't prove, or simply doesn't know the LAW then he can't prosecute you under it.
like i said, it's a quota they fill, i have a mate in the force and the stories he tells me are truly mind boggling, take their badge number and make a complaint if you feel your in the right

obviously make sure you've done nothing wrong start with

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I was stopped a while ago by the police regarding exhaust noise. I had the lecture regarding that car exhausts had to be stamped with a EC regulations (or British kite) to make it road legal

He then wrote out a VDR (vehicle defect report) and told me that I had 2 days (although afterwards closer inspection the ticket said 5 days) to have my exhaust returned back to OEM.

After a little investigation I found out that car exhaust didn’t come under the same as motorbike regulations for being stamped, and just to be sure I checked exhausts from Porsches to nova’s to see if they were stamped - non were!

Once changed apparently it had to be MOT’d to be accepted, non of this was explained by the officer at the time, nor the reason why I had only 2 days than 5? However the police accepted this (without MOT) and finishes that incident.
However when I asked about the 2 day period he mumbled about it being “Police Discretion” - somehow it seemed they made the mistake and ended up writing it off as a mess up.

I’ve had my goose recently checked in November and it came out at 99db’s @ 5000rpm. The whole “letting it side” thing seems to be a scare tactic, I’d just keep the rev’s down round residential areas and stay off the boost until you know the area is clear.

Hope that helps ;-)

Last edited:

Mr GTiR

Adam L said:
the mongoose isn't the loudest system either so i'm led to beleive, try the 5zigen, i've had no problems with it
I have a 3" straight through system with a 5Zigen rear muffler and that's LOUND!

As already suggested, just back off the throttle in built up areas and when you see the Police just change up a gear to drop the revs :thumbsup:

zxczxc

dip the clutch and roll past the pigs at a nice steady 30mph with the middle finger extended in their direction.

Mr GTiR

zxczxc said:
dip the clutch and roll past the pigs at a nice steady 30mph with the middle finger extended in their direction.
Doing that WILL get you pulled by the Police.

O

Odin

sunny scott said:

I once had a conversation with my local traffic police superintendent after being stopped for having small letters on my number plate. I basically had to tell him the LAW he was trying to enforce was incorrect and gave him the link to the dvla website which did have exact measurements that my plate was made to.
I also told him that i was not prepared to spend £10 getting my local garage to sign off the horte just because one of his officers didn't know what he was talking about. He told me he would get back to me once he had checked the information i told him ,as he obviously didn't know the LAW either, a couple of hours later i received a very apologetic call from him. one of the exact phrases he used was

There are Laws about everything. if he can't prove, or simply doesn't know the LAW then he can't prosecute you under it.

That's as maybe fella, But it wasn't the police that found me guilty was it, So if you think you know better than a court judge then please feel free to show us all your qualifications ;-) .

By the way it was over 20 years ago and the laws may well of changed since then ;-) .

Rob