Powder coating alloys

pulsar_stu

thought i would do some home work on this subject, because ive heard rumors of the powder coat weekening the alloy wheels.

check out what i have found :D

http://www.pfonline.com/dp/forums/forum_results.cfm?t_id=8869&f_id=17&pub=PF
This is a article that i found!!!

A metallurgist friend told me a few years ago that things like aluminium wheel spindles should not be powder coated. He explained that aluminium billet material (6061-T6 ?) changed crystal structure at a critical temperature around 410 degrees F (as I recall). The thrust was that the heating step would adversely affect the strength of the material. Non-structural components would be OK, but not something that "holds the spokes on".

The metallurgist is correct. Products like wheel billets, scuba tanks, etc. can be powder coated, but only with powders which cure below peak metal temperature of 300 degrees F. The magic temperature is about 275F. The crystalline realignment at 400 degrees F causes the previous ductile aluminium to become brittle. Imagine the catastrophe when an 80 cu. ft. scuba tank explodes under 3000 psi pressure after an unauthorized powder coat (this actually happened). To my knowledge, all Aluminum wheels and other strength-critical aluminium components are powder coated with these cooler curing powders.

Heating Al alloys above this temperature causes a granular rearrangement of the metallurgical structure resulting in a significant change of bulk properties. The tensile strength of the metal is dramatically lowered, much like a stress relief anneal on a steel piece would do. The resultant metal is not as strong, nor will pressure vessels made of such treated aluminium (e.g., scuba tanks) hold near the pressure that they were originally rated for. Since wheels are essentially load-bearing structures, they should never be heated like this unless the alloy is known to tolerate it well.

This was posted here http://body.articles.mbz.org/coatings/powder/

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GTI-R Kid

Must print this off and show it to a mate who was thinking of powder coating his Volk TE37's! :shock:

Nice one for posting it up!! 8)

G

GTiR Jon

Think mine are powder coated :? A guy working on my car managed to kerb nearly the whole edge of one rim quite badly (tw@t) but it didnt damage the alloy, just took the powder coating off (i've since sorted it).
Reckon this means the alloy is still strong??

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
****BACK FROM THE DEAD POST****

This is a really interesting post about powder coating.

At the moment I’m sorting out my track wheels as they’ve seen better days.

However after much searching I still keep seeing posts, recent ones that about people who have had them refurb’d (via powder coating) and they’ve cracked or shattered on the from hard road use or under track conditions.

My main question is has anyone else come across this kind of information, know anyone that’s had this issue and if you’ve have you have wheels powder coated have you had any issues?

I’d really like to have them powder coated so that they are well protected, but my main worry is that they may crack or shatter when on track – major issue!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm told it's the baking that does for them - if the coating can be "set" without baking them, they'd probably last much better.

John

My main question is has anyone else come across this kind of information, know anyone that’s had this issue and if you’ve have you have wheels powder coated have you had any issues?
Andy Napier (ex AWD Motorsport now RA Motorsport) had that very issue last year in the time attack. I think it was at Silverstone and his freshly powder coated alloys decided to shatter going into T1.

I dont know the ins and outs but from what he said at the time it wasnt the first time this had happend with the powder coater he used, he said something about the Knockhill Ferraris having similar issues.

Personally from the stories Ive heard and the info out there I wouldnt use a set of powder coated alloys if I was doing serious track work.

whytie

I'm sure it will be a very small number and something I wouldn't worry about. My old man has his own powder coating place and I've never heard anything bad really.

If you are worried you can always just get them to prep your wheel and then paint it yourself.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
There are different levels of baking that you can specify, however looking at the info, most shops still bake over that peak metal temperature, so that makes me nervous.

The wheels need actual repair work, not just a quick re-spray. They are about 10+ years old these wheels and they've had a few scrapes from when they were used on the JP and UK roads.

I'm not anti-PC'ing, just very wary about using it on my wheels

Might be the case of having it repaired and painted instead...