power advice please

ricey

hi everyone im new to here.;-)

my names john and before the pulsar i have had for the last 3 weeks my previous cas have been a s14a running 310bhp nd a 300zx runnin about 380bhp.

now i have had a few problems wit the car but mainly due to the idiot who owned it before me. it dropped 3 of the insolations on the plugs and started a bad mis fire. in took them out and they were shockin compression tested and fitted new ones then found 2 boost leaks the car is now running mint nd has pulled away from a vauxhall manaro v8 a new brand spanking new bmw m3.

BUT

I HAT IT ROLLING ROADED TODAY AND I WAS SHOCKED AT THE RESULTS

it made 255 bhp.:cry:

it does not feel that slow tho.

*ithas a hks turbo. not sure what size as cant see the numbers
*full turbo back exhaust system
*decatted
uprated arc top mount intercooler

and a apexi avcr boost controller runnin about 1.1 bar

i bought this car wit the impression of 290 brake and the pace of it i thought that was about right.

i now wanna chip it. how is the man to speak to on here

all advice welcome and apprecaited8)

Last edited:
Is that an at-the-wheel figure or flywheel? If its a wheel figure then seems ok to me.

Also you dont mention any fuelling mods - if it doesnt have an uprated fuel pump then stick one in there quick, the original pump wont last long with the extra demand, and could even be the reason for a low figure..

ricey

thats a fly wheel . thats the problem the guy i bought it off had swapped it for a transit van and has not got a clue...as the gtir ownner was needin to transport his motor bikes and had lost intrest in the car so i dont know what has been done or not. why would some one spend good money on a bigger turbo but NOT do the fuel pump?

:shock:

ricey

top line engine plower.......255.9 hp @ 7360
2nd line power tyre...........210.4 hp
3rd line torque .................226.4 lbs/ft @4560
4th line dissipated power...45.1 hp

hope this helps

:cry:

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can you put an in focus of the graph up, so we can read it please.

255bhp at the fly at 1.1bar is poor, it should be about 290ish.

Check your ignition timing, it should be 20degs btdc
Also do a fault code check to make sure you don't have a det sensor problem.

Where in the country are you as that will affect where to get it chipped.

Last edited:

ricey

sorry about the pic i only had 5 mins before work. i ve sorted it best i can 4 now.
:roll:
you sayin it should be 290 without even bein chipped .?:-o im in newcastle upon tyne. is there a fualt code guide on here?

also the new plugs i fitted are as they came for thr gap 0.8 id that correct for 1 bar boost or should i closer the gwap abit?

thanks

Last edited:

ricey

right i warned the car up nd took to a nice quite road and give it 2 full boost runs. (it seems quick.)

but anyway it on the drive coolin down and the paper clip is out and ready.! nervis

ricey

right now im confused!! done the fault code check nd i got 55 all clear.

the boost leaks i mention and i sorted is it posible there the problem as i put them together.

the dump valve was connected to the main hose comin out the bottom of the inlet. but they had not blocked the now open to air recirc valve so it was drawin air and puttin it back in behind the maf at the bottom of the induction pipe!

i blocked the hole on the induction were the recirc would put air back in so the recirc is now doing nothing..

is this correct?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did they use a big fan on the rolling road. It's always possible it could get too warm on the rolling road and the sensor kicks in.

Best thing is take it down the strip, driven hard with 290bhp you should hit high 12s easily.

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
Did they use a big fan on the rolling road. It's always possible it could get too warm on the rolling road and the sensor kicks in.
Thats what i reckon happened ;-) My det sensor kicked in on the rollers at powerstation a few years ago and as a result it made a pathetic 265bhp at 1.2 bar :lol:

ricey

they did use a decent size fan. will it not haveshowed up as if you look at the grapth its quite lumpy.

ricey

see the first run on the rollers made 316 bhp at 1.14 bar

but onthe graph near the end he told me the drivers side rear wheel slipped on the rollers so it was a bad readin. the next 2 were both around 255 hp

Last edited: