prob after messing with ecu

andygtir

after ignoring others better advice i removed an aftermarket chip from my ecu. it was a field boxer chip and was soldered onto the ecu on the points shown below...

i didnt attempt to de-solder the wires as they were so small and didnt want to risk melting the circitary on the ecu, so i just cut them. none of the wires are touching as they are all encased in a paper casing.

refitted it and when i turned the ignition on the fans came on straight away, it started but ran mega rich black smoke, stinks of fuel. there's virtually no vacuum as the boost guage shows only -100 and its idling very low on 1000rpm but as the engines cold and mine runs normally at 1300rpm lowest its not right, and its just struggling to run rally erratic.

i havnt touched under the bonnet, but have dismantled the centre consol.

i have a avcr and safc also plumbed into the ecu, both are getting a signal but the safc has no imput as i tried ricening and leaning out the idle to see but nothing happened.

any ideas to what ive done.

help...please :cry:

ex-gtir

when they fitted the daughter board they woul have to have cut the ignition signal to loop it through the new board as well as the airflow like when you wire in a safc or itc you have to fit in series if you get my meaning
mike
nice pic by the way

andygtir

nice pic by the way
:oops: :D

when i connected up the apexis i noticed that a couple of the wires had connectors in them but it looked like whatever had been there was now gone- as the wires were the same colour.

where would they have cut the airflow and ignition wires as there were no additional wires that i could see going into the ecu?

im not too clued up on electrics as you may have noticed! :oops:

edited to add that i tried memskis ecu and the car wouldnt even fire up- as if there was no ecu connected, mines a 91j his i think is 93k if it has any bearing.

J

JohnnyGTiR

From what I have read/seen, when a daughterboard is fitted to our ECU the only modification made to the board is the bridging of a surface mount component (resistor ?) marked CJ2. This forces the ECU to read off the map on the daughterboard.

hth
John

ex-gtir

jonny i assumed they had to do something otherwise the daughter board would be bypassed ie path of least resistance

A

Anonymous

when I had a daughter board, taken out of my ecu, they had to put some new resisters back in, as these were removed for the daughter board, not sure if this could be your problem...
Luke..

andygtir

JohnnyGTiR you are a legend! indeed a resister with 000 on it had been moved from CJ1 to CJ2 so i just moved the little fella back and wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooo i have boost 8) 8) 8)

thanks all, this forum saves me a fortune in tuner costs!!!!!!!

off to terrorise once more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: