problem on start up

andygtir

right ive had this annoying problem for a while now. here goes:

on start up the battery voltage as indicated on the safc would only get to 12.0v - the same as when the engines off, i would have to give the engine a rev to about 3.5k before the voltage would go up to 14.5v. but even then when driving for a while the voltage drops to about 13.6v and holds there.

if i dont give it a blip when i start up the car gradually loses all electrical power and will conk out :shock:

i cleaned up all the earthing points/ electrial connections and now sometimes when i very first start the car in the morning it sometimes reaches 14.5v on its own but not always, but then any other time i start it up after that it definately wont reach 14.5v whether the engines cold or hot.

the battery was replaced but no difference.

theres no fault codes present.

im thinking altenator, but dont really want to go to all the trouble of taking it out if theres anything else it could be.

any ideas :?:

andygtir

so my best be will be to whip it out and send it off to be re-firbished. oh joy :roll: :wink:

anyone got any companies they recommend?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You might be able to just change the brushes instead of the whole alternator. Get the code off the alternator and try ringing Nissan, or some sort of alternator servicing place (motor factor even? :? )

andygtir

i dont really know too much, so are the brushes hard to fit? could i do them myself? cost?

or would it be just easier to take it off and get an electrician to strip it and see what needs doing?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
On alternators where they are meant to be replaceable, they are easy to replace, but not all alternators are designed that way and I don't know if the Gtirs one is or not :oops:

andygtir

hmmm may be just easier to get someone to look at it once its off the car, last thing i want to do is skin all my knuckles only to put it back and find it doesnt work!

zia

are you getting 12v into alternator and 13v+ coming out? check the earth wire on the connector.if your getting 14.5 volt when revving the engine at 3k i don,t think it will be alternator.more wiring to start/alternator. oh check the voltage with good multimeter.

zia

Keira

If your near essex, broadway electrical in grays are good, cost me £27 for strip, good clean and new bearing 8)

ex-gtir

the alternator has a sence wire to se when the battery need more voltage flat battery will charge at a higher voltage to a full battery
i would say its not you alternator get a amp meter and dissconnect the earth lead connect the amp meter in series with it and without anything turn on and all doors shut there should be no amperage shown if you are showing a amperage then pull the fuses till the amp meter goes to to zero then you then know what circuit there is earth leakage on or a short
mike :?

youngsyp

Could be the voltage regulator on the alternator, if the one on the GTiR has one. Looks like a little box on the end of the alternator and will have a lead or 2 coming out of it, sorry I can't be more specific but, I haven't looked for one of these on mine yet. Check these are connected properly.