Pulsar Gti-r as a tow car

J

JeremyGti-r

Has anyone used their Gti-r as a tow car? I'm considering one as a daily driver in near stock form, and it will be towing a 2002 Clio of approx 1000kg on a trailer. It will only be used for a maximum of 200 mile round trips three to four times a year.

Obviously it will put extra strain on the transmission etc but is there any reason why it would not be suitable?

Cheers
Jez

pulsarmoley

I thought about having one on mine to tow a little box trailer around. How do you plan on fitting the towbar/is there one that will fit?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is this a legal thing because I've towed plenty bigger things behind a car this size before... but not in this country?

whytie

Might be ok if the weight of the clio and trailer combined doesn't weigh more the the pulsar.

B
As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer,*when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle
17*

JIMMYBACK

:lol::lol:WTF why why why;-) trailers should be reserved for the pulsar.
mind you id like to see it done so go for it:thumbsup:

williams

Might be ok if the weight of the clio and trailer combined doesn't weigh more the the pulsar.

B
As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer,*when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle
17*
every vehicle also has a max towing weight. the pulsar will probably be about 600kg unbraked and 1200kg braked (just a guess, may be more or less). you will risk pulling the boot floor out the car if you exceed this. best bet is to get a decent 4x4, or even a cheap flat bed transit.

stumo

AFAIK there has never been a towbar available for the R from Nissan (i could deffo be wrong though), in which case it will be illegal to tow anything.

There are modern cars that this happens to....the Ford Ka for example.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure Australia isn't too diferent; I've seen them mounted to the rear tied-down loop with a bolt and some washers, and the exhaust hanger on a Corolla!

k20 gtr

there is no towing capacity details on parkers for sunny gtir either.
From the uk sunny gti-r brochure it states...
Max towing weight with a braked trailer is 1560kg (3440 lb's)

Bloody hell I would not be trying that, as mentioned imagine the boot floor and rear legs!

skiddusmarkus

Towing an empty trailer is quite a good idea as when you break down you just need someone with a towbar to get you home.Sort of a DIY AA