Quaife boxes

Rich@Redline

Hi all, im fairly new to this forum and just have a quick question about gearboxes....I currently have Quaife synchromesh gears on my R, but have been considering upgrading to a PPG dog-box for a while. Does anyone know how much torque the Quaife box can safely handle? I want the car for drag racing mainly, so need something that can take some abuse. Would anyone else justify the upgrade or consider the Quaife sufficient? I am running about 350hp and slightly less torque at the mo, but this will be changing soon to a spec similar to Jason Gant's, courtesy of DP. I appreciate Jason still uses a standard box but I want something that i can abuse without worrying!!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Rich

Moved to Tuning & Upgrades

JIMMYBACK

so just to clarify.............do u have a quaffie box or do u just have the snchro mesh off a quaffie put on a standard box :shock: :D
cheers jimmy

Keira

i think he's saying he's got the quaiffe gearset, the same as everyone else in the standard casing :wink:

Si..

just keep the quaiffe mate, not only will dog gears be horrid for road use you'd be wasting money which could be spent elsewhere, quaiffe will do for what you want plus i think quaiffe are very conservative about what their boxes are capable of coping with.

Rich@Redline

thanks si, that seems like good advice. i just want something that will withstand decent amounts of torque without breaking every other week. if the Quaife does break, then that could be the time to start thinking about upgrading...plus i hear that dog gears need regular servicing?? PPG also specify straight cut synchromesh gears, although im not sure they would offer anything over what i already have.

cheers

Nad

On that note someone at Autosport show was showing off a new style dog's that hardly wear so lets hope everyone else catches on.

Nad

A

Anonymous

K7GTR said:
thanks si, that seems like good advice. i just want something that will withstand decent amounts of torque without breaking every other week. if the Quaife does break, then that could be the time to start thinking about upgrading...plus i hear that dog gears need regular servicing?? PPG also specify straight cut synchromesh gears, although im not sure they would offer anything over what i already have.
think quaife quote 340-350lb/ft as the torque capacity for the gearset.i've put 400lb/ft thru it and it's still intact,which is more than can be said for my diff :(

nismoboy

oap-r said:
think quaife quote 340-350lb/ft as the torque capacity for the gearset.i've put 400lb/ft thru it and it's still intact,which is more than can be said for my diff :(
just curious but what diff did u break?

Rich@Redline

so i guess the best option is to stick with the Quaife and hope for the best....although its hardly good for peace of mind!! anyone have any experiences with PAR or PPG, as the PAR synchro kit says it supports 450hp and the dog-change 650hp

are dog-boxes generally considered unsuitable for a road car?

cheers

JU5TY

The PAR Syncro has the big tooth profile like the ½ dog and is meant to be good for 600bhp as well. But the kit isn’t proven yet and has fitting issues!

I have the PAR syncro set, Skid is running his car in on one at the moment. Don’t think there are many others running them in the UK.

I would defo stick to the Quaife.