R design project

Clarky

Hey all,

I'm currently in my final year of a design engineering course at uni and have to complete a design project. I'd like to do something R related but am not sure what aspect of the car I'd like to improve. I've only had my car for just under a year and it still scares the crap out of me so I've never really had it newhere near its limits to know as to where its problem areas lie.

I'd be very interested in some feedback as to any areas of the car you feel let the car down and could possibly be improved upon. Be it a product that's already in aftermarket production that could be improved upon or just a problem with the design of car that I may be able to solve. I'm all ears!

Cheers guys :-D

paz

:lol: I can already hear cries of gearbox casing echoing around the forum.

Nothing directly from my own experience though, fingers crossed.

Paz

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
How about some aerodynamic ideas like a front or rear diffuser. :thumb:

Perhaps a sequential gearbox? :lol:

Sween

Well as far as I am aware there are 3 major issues besides the aerodynamics (please sombody correct me if I am wrong)

From what I remember when Nissan built the R they just took a standard Sunny GTI and made some tweaks. They however left the standard clutch, gearbox and brakes on which seems a bit of a poor show when they double the power output

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought it was based on the Pulsar rather than the Sunny (and only branded as a Sunny in Europe). I also thought that the consensus was that the brakes, clutch, etc were ok as long as you were running standard power - as soon as you start exceeding that, things break.
Plus if you think that it was spec'd as a ralley car, things like the clutch and gearbox (and even the engine to a lesser extent) are considered to be consumable - if they are light-weight enough that they make it through an event without breaking, that's all you need. Finally, because it's based on a JDM car, they probably didn't plan for such a life time.

To be fair, it was a pretty advanced car for 1990, but slightly dated by 2008.

I'm a little off-topic. I suggest something suspension related, but that's only because I've been trying to troubleshoot and fix mine for so long.

Clarky

Would be very interested to see some of those pics also if you wouldn't mind sending me them in an email? You have a pm :D Have they been proven to significantly improve the handling of the car?

Last edited: