R won't stay running! Help please.

Jen-italia

Its a stock R really, catback exhaust and an FMIC.

I had the car idling in a parking lot for about 20 mins, I noticed it started to sputter and miss so I shut it off. I started her back up after about another 20 mins and tried to drive her somewhere, the car was acting like it had a massive boost leak. Popping and farting, missing and sputtering like crazy, it did not want to be under any amount of acceleration/boost at all. Take the foot off the gas and it would be ok for about 10 secs then it wanted to die. I got to another parking lot, it idled horribly for 15 seconds then died. Keep trying to start it and it would fire up, pop and fart for 15 seconds then die. By the end of the night, it wouldnt fire at all. I had to tow the girl home.

I have replaced the plugs & wires and the fuel filter, have inspected piping for boost leaks, made sure all plugs are firing.

The weather has just started to be "spring-like" again and I'm dying to drive my one of a kind girl in my hometown.

Any ideas/suggestions??
Thanks!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the fault codes don't throw anything up, check the TPS on the basis that the ECU may not know where the throttle really is and be getting the fuelling wrong.
I know you say you've checked the hoses, but could you have a leak from your BOV (is it an appropriate one)? What about a boost controller; when I installed my EVC I had a slight leak on one of the lines and it was enough to cause hesitation and rough running past ~2.5k

jjs

when did you last fill it up with fuel, may be a dodgy batch of fuel, or has the car been off the road for a while ?

Jen-italia

Did i forget to mention that I changed the fuel filter? My apologies. I did so. No change.
The batch of gas I use is always the same and I had been driving the car for about an hour before letting it idle in that lot for about 20 mins. I use 94 octane.
It just seems strange to me that the car was running mint before I let it idle for that time and just all of a sudden decides to start sputtering on me and then die.
I hope to god it isnt the TPS as I've had past experiences of things shipping to Canada taking about 2 months to do so. Stuff for this car is incredibly hard to come by for me. My dad has family in Dublin, maybe I could get some hookups there :p
I have a spare Walbro 255 from a 240sx sitting in my basement, if its the fuel pump then at least I dont have to wander around looking for one.
My BOV is a Greddy type R and Ive been running it for a year now, vented, with no problems.
Again, I hope its not the MAF for the shipping reasons, but then I could upgrade to a Z32 maf :)

Im going to take a look at the car again in an hour or so and see if ive overlooked anything, thanks for the suggestions!

Jen-italia

I wish it were so simple :(
No one i know has any spare mafs around, i know no one with a z32 and there are probably only 20 ish pulsars in this city of 1 million people.
Same with the distributor, do you know of any common nissans that would have it interchangeable??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
it could be a hose popped off!
Or even just not quite sealing - I had problems with a hose that wasn't quite far enough on the T-piece, and all it took to fix it was to push it on further (and put a cable tie on it to hold it tight).

Jen-italia

Ooookkkk

So. Its the fuel pump. Its not even priming audibly, but the fuel is getting to the filter. Just not enough. The car will start, but once it uses the little amount of fuel that the pump has delivered, it sputters out and dies.

Im going to swap the pump with a walbro 255 that i had sitting around, the only problem is that this pump doesnt have the black sock around the pump. What do I do lol.

I searched yesterday and all I could find is that some people have wrapped it otherwise.

Anyone have any advice thats fitted a 255 before?