Rattle in the roof

Rob

Hello,

In an effort to ridding my car of rattles, I have tracked a rather annoying one down to the roof. :shock:

I have had a very quick look, (whilst driving to work this morning) and couldn't see an obvious way of removing the roof lining to tackle the problem. Can you give me some pointer please.

The rattle occurs at idle, roughly 1000 rpm. If I stand outside the car and apply a little presure to a certain point on the roof, it stops, so I should think that something nbeeds tightening/gluing/packing.

Cheers

Rob

J

jasegould

Put sealer/sikaflex between the roof skin and the supports and fit some sound deadening pads. If u do a search youll find what u need to know :D

gtir303

it sounds like a hard job but its not i stikoflexed the roof bars and dynomated the sections in between

A

AZ STE

The roof is held on by several plastic pins around the edge.When the car was new on the producton line they just squirt some expanding foam on the inside of the roof and push the lining onto it.The foam eventally comes away. Id just do the same again using slightly more foam.

J

JamesArup

This is one of the first jobs I had to do in my car a few years ago. I posted up some pictures of how I did it on the Yahoo GTIR Tech forum HERE (you may need a logon to see them). They may help you? It worked a treat! If you tap on the roof as it is now, it will probably sound all tinny and vibrate a bit. Once I did this, tapping on the roof produced a solid 'thud', with no vibration at all :lol:

Cheers, J 8)