Rear Brake Upgrade ideas

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I realise there's been a few posts around this and I have read them.

This was on my list of things to do but a dodgy caliper (Not enough braking force) has brought plans forward. :(

The left rear is not working properly and looking at the wanted section on the site this seems to be a common problem. I've read elsewhere that its not worth the bother of trying to repair the old calipers and I should just get new.

Has anyone tried to fix the Nissan calipers, would it just need a new seal kit or do the pistons fail? :?

What is the price of a new rear caliper. I'll call blue print later but would be interested in a comparison price.

I had thought of upgrading the rears to 300zx calipers but thought with uprated front and rear calipers, the master cylinder would be maxed out and not have any increase in braking force. Plan is to save some more cash and then convert the rear OE discs to 285 mm with the Hispec kit.

The last resort is to fit a brake bias valve if its still not ideal

Can anyone help or has any other thoughts.

Cheers,
Jim.

GINGA

I've got the rear 285mm hispec kit and it works very well 8) , had some serious hassle getting it to fit properly though :evil: hispec also now do 4 pot rear calipers with built in handbrake which might help but as you say the master cylinder could be a problem :(
Tbh the 285 or even 300mm rear kit with a adjustable bias valve will probably be all you would ever need.

A

ard1ey

I got told by Nissan the rear calipers are £170 each. Apparently the pattern ones from a Primera will fit but I didn't check into that as mine were, thankfully, fixable :D .

On mine its always the sliding pins that get jammed, not had any problems with the pistons.