rear number plate fine

g9nhy

ok so i got pulled today by the police i had no idea what for until he came up to me and said i have pulled you over for your illegal rear number plate, i said whats wrong with it officer and he replied it dose not meet the uk standards registration the lettering are too small, i have a private plate on my car which is 6 characters long and all on 1 line rater than having it on 2 lines
so i got £100 fine and the took my rear number plate and told me to get a proper uk spec on made, i told him the uk lettering are to big to fit on my rear number plate as my car is an import, andhe replies take it up with dvla or stick it on your rear bumper :der:

any one else had any problems with they rear number plate or have pics of how they have theys displayed

thanks guys.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Import cars have to comply with UK reg laws regards lettering size and font for the rear number plate (fronts don't matter).

All reg plates have to have a BS number on too, so that it meets manufacturing regulations.

However, an officer taking the rear number plate is NOT allowed, if that was the case, your car should have been impounded, not allowed to drive off without a number plate. What if you went through a speed camera or was involved collision with a member of the public?

I would speak to the police regards this and citzens advice or someone you know in the legal business (was this traffic division or a normal copper that took the plate?)

I'm afraid that on this occasion your plate could be illegal, however taking your number plate and allowing you to drive off is not the correct procedure. A fine and a VDR would be in order.

I suggest to follow this up and ensure the copper involved is reprimanded for his or her stupidity and arrogance.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
As fubar has said, they are not allowed to seize the plate for evidence, you can actually just sign a book admitting the offence.....what he did was wrong!

g9nhy

i did not drive off i had to call a friend to pick me up and take me to go make some new number plates while officer waited for my return once plate were on he made sure he was happy with them before letting me drive other wise the said he would have to recover it away and gona cost me £180
my question is how can you fit standard uk size lettering on the rear number plate you would get max 4 letters as the rear number plate is'nt big enough my letters were motor bike size thats only way fit

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You have it as 3+3 square?

That's legal-sized lettering; you see it on things like LandRovers too.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Ant has the same size reg as you George and he's never been pulled for it either.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I have had the police follow me for a while, but they've never found a good reason to pull me over.

g9nhy

Thanks guys for the input I have just replaced the rear number plate today with a road legal one so hopefully all should be good now shame I had to pay £100 fine I didn't realised the fine had gone up from £60 to £100