Recently fitted new brakes - thudding noise

maz

I recently bought the whole 310mm wilwood package from Rally Design and got a friend to help me fit the kit, he is a mechanic so im pretty sure all the bits are in their proper places. then we bled the whole system front and back and refilled it with the new provided fluid.

Now when i took it out for the first time last night i was taking it easy and feeling the brakes lightly to see if they where responding ok, and they were. so i was going down a big hill just round the corner from me and its very steep and has a sharp left hand corner at the bottom, as i put the brakes on to go around it i hear a thud thud thud noise coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle and pull over, i checked the wheel and around it and everything was fine, so i pulled off and brakes were still ok. i tried to see if i could replicate it and i found out that whenever i apply the brakes quite firmly as if im coming to a junction and want to stop, i get this thudding noise which happens as quickly as the wheels are turning. this happens going in a straight line or corner. ive taken off both front wheels and checked the brakes and the nuts are tight holding both wheels solid.

so does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? i noticed the ABS light was also on, so i unplugged the ABS just to iliminate that. but to no avail. what else can i check?

thanks in advance guys.

/maz

niklock1

I had a problem like this on my car with my Hispec brakes, it turned out to be the castle nut that holds the hub on was coming loose, and the caliper was hitting the wheel. woth a look

Nick

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was it the ABS engaging? ( I don't have it, so don't know when the ABS light is meant to come on)

Does it do it all the time or one particular corner?

maz

Fast Guy said:
Was it the ABS engaging? ( I don't have it, so don't know when the ABS light is meant to come on)

Does it do it all the time or one particular corner?
it felt sort of like the abs engaging mate, but when i unplugged the big wire going into the ecu in the passenger footwell (im guessing how thats u disengage it) it still happens :(

and it does it all the time when i firmly brake, straight line or corner.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
How close, at any point is the caliper to the wheel, could it be the wheel & caliper touching ?

dobby

my wilwood was doing the same thing when i fitted them. after a short time it went. everything is fine now. mine was like a thud or knock as i pressed the pedal.

maz

stevepudney said:
How close, at any point is the caliper to the wheel, could it be the wheel & caliper touching ?
at the moment i have 17" wheels on the car steve, so there is a good 1 inch + gap between the wheel and the caliper, ive tried spinning the wheel while on axle stands and can see no where that the wheel and caliper could possibly touch :(

and thats wierd dobby, perhaps its the same problem im having, but its a bit worrying if theres something funny going on and it just stops... ive been driving it a little at a time, while testing after alterations. il keep trying to find out whats up.

abyss

maz said:
at the moment i have 17" wheels on the car steve, so there is a good 1 inch + gap between the wheel and the caliper, ive tried spinning the wheel while on axle stands and can see no where that the wheel and caliper could possibly touch :(

and thats wierd dobby, perhaps its the same problem im having, but its a bit worrying if theres something funny going on and it just stops... ive been driving it a little at a time, while testing after alterations. il keep trying to find out whats up.
Maz if you got abs take the fuse out its shite. Mine did this make syre bolts that hold the caliper to the hub are tight.

Last edited:

maz

Cheers John, i took the whole brake set up apart again and re-assembled it making sure all the bolts were tight as i could, double checked everything and gave it a test run, and it seems to have fixed the problem...im so relieved cos it was really bugging me. and il be taking the fuse out just now :)

thanks again for the help guys.