Reliability SR20DET

D

Devin

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about importing a GTi-R for trackday and daily usage. I'm aiming for 280 to 300bhp, but I'm not sure how reliable the SR20DET is for this kind of usage? Do I have to change parts every week or are there any 'normal GTi-R problems' that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Devin.

kirko

sr20det is a very good engine trouble is if they havent been rebuilt since new they are over ten years of abuse old :?

Dooie Pop Pop

buy a good one, run it at that power and look after it PROPERLY :wink: .........it wont let you down! possibly/maybe type thing :roll: its a car ffs :lol:

they are a strong car if well maintained 8) abuse it at your peril :lol:

welcome to the club btw :D

Stu :mrgreen:

Gray

I have a 280bhp pulsar i use as a daily driver nothing really needs replacing weekly.

You just have to get a good foundation - make sure you have a good clutch, make sure you get it full serviced - sparks, leads, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, gear box oil, diff oil, air filter, rotar arm, dissy cap etc etc

G

GTiRsalter

Ive had mine nearly 4 years now (280bhp ish) and not had to replace anything major, just the normal parts that wear out on a old car.

If you keep on top of it and look after it, you should be ok.

The only thing it does need each week is.........Fuel :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depending on which rolling road you use, you'll get that power at stage1 ie filter, exhaust and 1bar boost. It should run all day every day at that level as long as it has been set up properly.
The clutch won't last as long at that level, and the gearbox tends to be more of a lottery, they can last forever or go very soon. :?

CruiseGTi-R

I did 2300 miles over xmas driving down through france and back again. Running usual stuff for simple 1bar setup, car never missed a beat.

Included lots of 'I need an oil cooler' type driving too :wink: :D

Welcome to the club too.

D

Devin

Thanks guys, for the information and for welcoming -is that an English word?- me. ;)

Have had mine for 4 years, had to replace the standard clutch as it couldn't handle 285bhp, apart from that i have only had a few petrol leaks
(the hose i was using was crap) and a cv gaitor. not bad for 4yrs play :D