Reliable?

B

Batch21

Hi All,

I am relatively new to the GTi-r forums and although i don't own one specifically, i may well own a 'sort of' GTi-r in the next few months.

I am in the closing stages of an engine conversion and i am teased to go down the route of using a GTi-r setup, currently i am using a Primera GT setup (i.e. engine, running gear etc).

I was pretty sure i wanted to use the Pulsar block from the outset but i was put off by a few parties involved because they seemed to think they were un-reliable.

So my question is, how true is this?

Baring in mind that if i do go down the route of GTi-r it will be totally stock, running unusally low boost, in street terms anyway (i'd say half a bar or slightly over).

Stick with Prim GT or go GTi-r? (probably be a daily driver, weighing 800kgs)

tried to provide you with as much information as i think you'll need, any more questions i'll answer no probs

rayman75

a std gtir will be fairly relible i would say so. i cant really comment as i have never had a std one. pulsar come with 0.7bar out of the box anyway and it will will 1bar without any fueling issues.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Batch21 said:
I was pretty sure i wanted to use the Pulsar block from the outset but i was put off by a few parties involved because they seemed to think they were un-reliable.

So my question is, how true is this?

Baring in mind that if i do go down the route of GTi-r it will be totally stock, running unusally low boost, in street terms anyway (i'd say half a bar or slightly over).
It's a load of cr4p. The engine is pretty reliable, transmissions are more the weak point.

What's the point of putting the Gtir engine in and runnig boost that low, you might as well take the turbo off and run N/A:doh:

Stick the whole engine in and run it with at least 1bar boost:lol: :thumbsup:

B

Batch21

yeah but it'll be in a 800kg Nissan Micra K10! :)

not sure whether i'd be able to keep the extra .3 bar on the tarmac....or the other .7 for that matter!!

the engineering work is pretty much done, just need the GTi-r engine, running gear and electrics and i'm ready to go.

Any other gearbox that mate up with the GTi-r lump that will make it 2wd, and still take the power? thinking primera GT, same block?

ChrisS

Batch21 said:
yeah but it'll be in a 800kg Nissan Micra K10! :)

not sure whether i'd be able to keep the extra .3 bar on the tarmac....or the other .7 for that matter!!

the engineering work is pretty much done, just need the GTi-r engine, running gear and electrics and i'm ready to go.

Any other gearbox that mate up with the GTi-r lump that will make it 2wd, and still take the power? thinking primera GT, same block?
Are you mounting the engine transversley? If not why not go for the sr20det out of the 200sx.

Or use the primera sr20de engine and use an aftermarket turbo kit like the guys in the us with the sentras do.

The sr20det in the gtir is the highest spec sr20 engine, so isnt going to be more unreliable. It breaks from being uprated/tuned badly, which happens most of the time when people buy an already dodgy gtir for 2.5k then spend 500 quid hoping to run 350bhp with no thought to mapping, fuel management ect ect.

paz

Very reliable engine in standard form pal, you just need one thats been treated well and continue to service it regularly and it should be fine.

Paz

J

justin666

Probably need to ignore my sig for this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

In 5 years of ownership my R has never actually really let me down. The only probs I have had is due to either the age of the car (Things like the alternator and water pump going) or when Ive tried to be clever with the modding and broke it myself :doh: :oops:

Personally I think the Gtir SR20DET is a great engine and very reliable if looked after well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

J.

B

Batch21

ChrisS said:
Are you mounting the engine transversley? If not why not go for the sr20det out of the 200sx.

Or use the primera sr20de engine and use an aftermarket turbo kit like the guys in the us with the sentras do.

The sr20det in the gtir is the highest spec sr20 engine, so isnt going to be more unreliable. It breaks from being uprated/tuned badly, which happens most of the time when people buy an already dodgy gtir for 2.5k then spend 500 quid hoping to run 350bhp with no thought to mapping, fuel management ect ect.
No, the sr20de engine is already in so the mounting is as it should be, exhaust manifold at the front. As for getting a well treated 'R, the only problem is that i only need the engine and running gear etc so it'll either be out of a crash (more than likely indicating that it's been thrashed into a tree!) or out of an 'R which i just happen to come across that's being broken (no idea of service history or past problems etc), plus obviously i need all this at a 'reasonable price', although i am not quite sure what that is at the moment!

As for an aftermarket turbo kit, i would think after purchasing, fitting and mapping it would be chaeper to go for the GTi-r option...at least i would think.. difficult as it is lol