replacing the turbo....

E

Eric Yellow

Got my new hybrid in the mail yesterday, so at about 10 pm I started taking the standard T28 off.....at least..I tried.....
1 bolt of the manifold just broke off and 1 nut is as round as a baby's bottom...
And it's just the nut that's the most difficult to reach...
So at about 3 am this morning I called it a night...
Just got out of bed and I'm going to give it another go.
Anybody got any tips or special tools I could use to get the round nut of ?

My original T28 had a sideplay off at least 2 mm, no wonder it started using a "bit" oil and smoked a "little"..;)

ps sorry if there's a lot of faults in my English...

J

jiw

Hi, ive just had my turbo off with the engine out, even with the engine out i needed some good 1/4 inch drive ratchet gear and a knuckle joint to get too some of the bolts, never done it in the car though, jeff

S

seanleed

If you can get a hold of a socket that drives on the flats of the nuts instead of the corners it would help, along with a 'wobble' extension for your ratchet.

J

jiw

i forgot about them special wobbly ends, i got my set from halfords and come with a no quibble lifetime warranty, very handy :D

M

memski

Used an open spanner and plenty of WD and patience for that bolt :lol: Trust that bolt to be rounded off :roll: My old T28 had about a cm or 2 of sideplay :lol: :roll: :wink:

MarkTurbo

I use a spanner (and a lot of patience :x ) on that awkward nut too :wink:

When i took my turbo off the other day every one of the studs came out of the head when i undid them :roll: The turbo is easier to get off if you have small hands and thin bendy arms (like me :oops: ) It took me about 30 mins to get mine off 8) :D

And my turbo has virtually no sideplay on the shaft either

Keira

Have none of you heard of ratchet spanners :roll:

even i can manage to get it off and back on in the same day with one of them :lol:

E

Eric Yellow

That's kind of my problem..."ratchet spanner"...have absolutely no clue what you mena by that...
My english is reasonable, but technical english about tools and stuff is another story...
But the good thing is that my new turbo is fitted and I'm quite pleased with the results.
It's a T28 hybrid with, among others, a 76mm compressor wheel...it's f*cking big !
Lag has been reduced and at 0,6 bar it gives about 255-260 bhp (according to the Apexi RSM) at the moment.