Rev Limit ??????? no power

A

alfyboy

Hey all i think i may have a problem with my rev limiter.
When i put the foot down the revs go round fine till 7000 rpm then all engine power cuts ( not throttle responce at all for about 5 seconds)
then it just cuts back in. :? :?
Is this the rev limiter or another problem as i thought the limiter wasnt supposed to cut in till 7500 rpm :? :?
I also have a slight speed signal fault due to bad contacts could this be causing the problem.
Cheers Alfy :D :D

:? If you ur talking about the jap speed limiter m8, I'm pretty sure it's a speedo controlled thing. It's meant to come in at 112mph (or 180kmh) regardless of rpm. I guess the proof of this is that my car will hit the rev limiter in fourth and fifth (obviously at different rpm).

If it's an aftermarket over-rev limiter you have, it's always possible for you to locate the box and turn the damn thing off...

A

alfyboy

its all been deristricted its not the speed limiter ive had it at 130mph.It happens in any gear :?
Dont know if its just my rev counter thats out but i just didnt expect a rev liniter to be that ferice :?

ashills

alot of us have had a similar problem i had it and changed my dials as they seem to break down in some way
try it and see how it goes

otter

Im having a similar problem wid mine at the mo but mine does it at about 5500rpm. :?

Im putting that down to it detting and i think that my timings out so thats probably causing it.

Im checking it tomoz so i'll report my findings 8)

Uncle Winnet

why do you need to go to the rev limiet my car makes pek power at 6440rpm so i change gear at 6.5 as its all down hill from then on

john

ashills

yeah but by holding to above the power band can help the amount of RPM drop in the gear change
IE to put u straight back to full power in next gear

Uncle Winnet

well i uesd to go up to just befor the rev limiet when i was at pod and ran low 13 now i change at 6.5 and run in the 12s nearly every time so think ill just keep chageing at 6.5
as it quicker

john

ashills

yeah does depend on tubro etc and what sort of power ur running
i had the opposite and found that shorter changes lost me half a second

A

alfyboy

thanks for the help guys. Ill check if its intermitant or not, havent been ragging much latly (bit skint :( )

LOU ROB

If it does it in every gear,change the the usuall stuff on the ignithion side ,plugs,leads e.t.c If you are running higher boost to the standard spec,get your timing and fuelling checked out :shock:

As for peak power,hitting the rev limitter will cause you to lose power,and when it comes to drag racing e.t.c,will cost you valuable time

G

GartracS2

To check VSS circuit (Speed Semsor)

Jack the car up so all four are off the ground and with the engine running in neutral gear spin one of the fron wheels and your rpm should rise by around 100-200 rpm every occasion you spin the wheels ;)

A

alfyboy

Sorted. Found a loose wire on the plug for the speedo senser, the contact was also oxidised. Repaired the wire and blasted the plug with contact cleaner. Its been reving right round no bother since :D :D :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
johnwillett992 said:
well i uesd to go up to just befor the rev limiet when i was at pod and ran low 13 now i change at 6.5 and run in the 12s nearly every time so think ill just keep chageing at 6.5
as it quicker

john
Funny that, cos I tried changing at 7000 instead of 7500 and was 0.2secs slower :shock:

Sorted. Found a loose wire on the plug for the speedo senser, the contact was also oxidised. Repaired the wire and blasted the plug with contact cleaner. Its been reving right round no bother since
Was this the plug on the actual sensor, if so did you do it with it in the car still?