rich from cold

gtirjoey

had this problem for a long time now and nearly at the point of outing this car for something a bit less hassle free.
basically the car runs like a pig from cold black smoke from the exhaust until it warms up, and is a bit missy but fine once warm.
i have changed all the obvious ect sensor, plugs, leads, rotor arm and cap.
i am running z32, 700cc injectors and pfc. tried putting standard injectors air flow and ecu back on, and then the car is difficult to get started from cold and still runs like crap until it is warm.
even done a compression test everything showed up fine!
Is there something i am overlooking here? any advise would be truly appreciated as i do love the car but sick to death with it running like this from cold:der:

gtirjoey

not so long ago.. but this problem has been there when i originally had standard ecu,stendard injectors, and standard airflow and ecu. ea mapped it and the problem was still there then steve fc tuning mapped it feels better but problem still there and as the mornings are colder its worse!
im sure there is a sensor breaking down somewhere

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's not something stupid like the timing is out is it?
The map will cope with quite a bit, but maybe if the base timing is out it can't adjust it enough when it is cold.

azboy

sounds like to coolent temp sensor playing up and it want show as a fault in the ecu check as still in its working parameters even if stuck at 80 deg c, so basically ur engine from cold will think its 80 deg, when hot will be ok but cold not good try and unplug the sensor and se how it starts, there not expensive.

gtirjoey

as i say already changed coolant temp sensors and have the pfc with commander look at coolant temp readings and when i start up in morning its shows around 14 and goes up how you would expect it to.

P

pulsarboby

joe when it was mapped did he see any red alerts coming up on the pc?
if one of the sensors have gone down it will bring up a fault on laptop when ecu detects it.

cant be injectors as i think you have changed those already if i remember correctly.

is possible that you have a fault in the main loom itself that goes to the sensors on back of engine (maybe a snagged wire) which is causing the cold start to run all the time.
try disconnecting it from back of throttle bodies and see what happens then