Right, its time to strip the loom! Where do i start?

otter

After a week of f*cking about im still no nearer to getting by car sparking!

The fuel pump only works when the relay is bypassed! Ive changed the relay and nothings changed!
Still very little power coming from the coil and very little power going to the dizzy!
Ive bypassed the immobiliser.

Time to check the wires, but where should i start??

Any wires in particular that might be causing the problem?

otter

Yes the battery is newish,
And no the engine hasnt been out. Well not since feb anyway.

Mr GTIR ive read all your posts about your troubles and ive tried nearly everything, apart from the ecu and changing the coil.
There next!

But i still carnt figure out why the fuel pump ONLY works if you take the relay out and you by-pass it :? and yes ive tried another relay!

C

c11gtr

the fuel pump only works when engine is cranking or running (so you cant burn it out by leaving ign on)

otter

c11gtr said:
the fuel pump only works when engine is cranking or running (so you cant burn it out by leaving ign on)
:? :? someone told me it works when the battery is turned :shock:

Either way it doesnt work even with the relay in and with the engine turning over!

J

jasegould

Had the same problem when building my xe nova, could bypass the relay to make the pump work but the ECU would only make run the pump once it recieved a signal from the crank sensor...but mine was broken, had me stumped for days. Like most people, i was under the impression that it would work when the ignition was switched on, but aparently not.

If thats how the r works then you may have a problem with the crank/engine speed sensor....the fact that you can bypass the relay makes me think that the problem is with the ECU...or rather the inputs into the ECU.

Anyway, a good start is a wiring diagram and ECU pin data, do continuity tests on the approporiate wires, then check for the correct inputs etc. Or if you can borrow another ECU then try that, will take you 10 mins and will rule it out.

Jay

J

jasegould

Oh, and if the ECU iasnt getting a signal for the engine running, it wont spark either.

otter

Well there was power going into the ecu, luckily i know a lad who's rebuilding an R so i borrowed his ecu and it fired 1st time!!!

At least i now know what the problem is but i carnt understand whats caused the ecu to pack in :x

MarkTurbo

otter said:
At least i now know what the problem is but i carnt understand whats caused the ecu to pack in :x
The ecu went on my car (well blew a track internally anyway :x ) and i spent ages messing about with all the wiring etc before i found it was the ecu, thats why i said to try that first :D

Glad its sorted :D I know how annoying electrical problems can be :roll: