running in engine

sypher

Hi, i'm not ready just yet (with my progress never will be) but i would like to get some opinions on this, who prefers the gently gently don't rev too hard approach and who prefers the on road load cylinders to high reasonably high rpm to force rings against bores? now one prob' for me and that is i don't have road tax and mot and this brings in the question of which oil to be used for running in to prevent smoke whilst emissions reading, i would appreciate your views and opinions as i know there has been alot of builds, some long term ones too.

I was concidering dyno run in but i think thats just wasting money!!

Stu.

Mr GTiR

deisel weasel said:
treat them mean keep them keen :wink:

(within reason of course)
yep i agree with Kieron, that's how i run mine in.

Use the boost but nice and progressily and don't hold your rev's. I kept mine below 4 grand. Don't forget to do plenty of gear changes so that you don't hold the rev's :wink:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Agreed...

Cylinders are way to smooth these days for a gentle run in... Do that and they won't bed the rings...

Gentle was the way to go back as few years ago when the bores were a little rougher... But not with modern day engineering...

Rish

T

Toady

yep i totally agree with all the above. When i run mine in this year i ran it at 0.6bar, with a constant variation on revs, NO motorway constant rev driving (as this can cause glazing). Apply heavy throttle to force the rings against the bores to bed the rings in, this creates good compression pressure sealing, and allow lots of engine braking too as this expands the oil control rings meaning they seal well producing a good oil seal. It also creates a suction on the underside of the piston drawing oil onto the cylinder walls aiding cooling and lubrication.

However DO NOT do high speed runs, or race the engine. Drive it normally with lots of variation on the throttle, and a must is letting it warm up properly.

It is said that withing the first 20miles/20mins of driving is supposed to be detrimental to making the engine perform well in the long term. Once the engine is up to running temp, from the lowest it will pull in 4th gear floor it to about 6k revs and let off still in gear allowing the engine only to slow you down, do this about 10 - 15 times. After this 20 miles of initial bedding in has been done, you should do an oil and filter change.

Also only use mineral oil when running in the engine as synthetic oils hav additive in which will stick to the liners and rings not allowing them to wear in together and causes glazing. Not until the engine has done about 2k miles should fully syn oil be used. For the 1st couple of hundred miles use cheap classic car mineral oil. Change the oil, and use mineral oil for another few hundred miles.

This is how ive run all my engines in and none of them have given bad results! :wink:

My pulsar engine that has just done 2500k miles was run in like this, drives really well, doesnt have ANY oil in the catch can ever, and has just had a compression test done which resulted in 160-165psi on all 4 cylinders.

Hope that helps? :wink: